Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Will the beer absorb all the CO2 if you only gas it once?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Default Will the beer absorb all the CO2 if you only gas it once?

Fairly new brewer, brand new kegger!

Couldnt find a direct answer to this: I am going to rack my first brew into a keg soon. I want to let it sit at room temp for a few more weeks. Can I hit it with gas once and then tuck it away? Will the beer absorb the CO2 and depressurize? In my mind it wont, but someone tell me its OK! The other part of me thinks it needs to be on gas until the beer has absorbed all it can at a given pressure?

Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 492 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 67

You need to have a steady supply of gas and at room temperature you would need around 30psi. If you just gas it once it will absorb and then sit there flat. Other option would be to add sugar to prime and let it carb naturally like a giant bottle....so you have an answer.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
wilsojos
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

You just need to hit it with enough to set seal and you can store it off the gas.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #4
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3238 Times on 3139 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post

Couldnt find a direct answer to this: I am going to rack my first brew into a keg soon. I want to let it sit at room temp for a few more weeks. Can I hit it with gas once and then tuck it away? Will the beer absorb the CO2 and depressurize? In my mind it wont, but someone tell me its OK! The other part of me thinks it needs to be on gas until the beer has absorbed all it can at a given pressure?
It will quickly absorb that tiny amount of gas, and result in little to no pressure in the headspace. As long as your kegs seal well, and there won't be any temperature fluctuations where you store it, it shouldn't be a problem though.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 01-24-2013, 10:54 PM   #5
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 351 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 47

In effect you'll be keg conditioning at warm temps with CO2 simply used to purge the oxygen. You could do the same by filling the keg with CO2 before racking. It is heavier than air will sit in there until pushed up by the rising level of beer. Seal and let it sit in there. Your keg would then be a secondary fermenter. Then when ready chill and apply pressure to carbonate.

"So you say you just brewed your first batch of beer. Welcome to the obsession." --me, to every first time brewer I ever meet.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
Kolenka
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

That other part is right. If you want full carbonation, you are probably aiming at more than 2 volumes of CO2. Think of it this way, the volume of CO2 you want in your beer is more than twice the volume of the keg itself under normal atmospheric pressure. There's just not enough headspace to force that much CO2 into the keg without putting it under really high pressure. High enough that it is not worth the risk.

That said, you can easily hit it with gas once and tuck it away. Unless the seal on the keg is old, then it should keep just fine, even as it absorbs some of the CO2 and reaches equilibrium. I might just keep an eye on the keg after a couple days just to make sure the seal holds. As for how much to hit it with, I'm not really sure how much.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:02 PM   #7
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 492 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Yes, the keg and the beer may be ok BUT it will not carb under said conditions he will still be sitting with a keg of "FLAT" beer.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:07 PM   #8
jeffersonjames
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post

I condition all my beers like this. First I crank up the co2 to around 40 and fill the keg for 15 secs. You should hear it start to bubble. Then I pull the release valve a few times in short burst to let out the oxygen. Lastly I will fill it again with co2 for another 15 secs. This leaves a layer of co2 resting above the liquid sealing your keg. I also recommend using keg lub on all the o rings to insure there are no leaks. Check for the first few days by pushing on lid to make sure it is sealed like another poster said. When your ready to carb the beer bring the to serving temp. When it is cold attach the co2 and set it to 12 psi and let it sit for a week in the fridge. Your beer will then be carbonated.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:24 AM   #9
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Thanks gang. I am not looking to have the beer carbed and ready to drink, I just want to have it sit for a while before it goes in the fridge.

I did just rack it and hit it with about 30 psi. Purged a few times. I think my blow off has a small leak! I can hear a tiny hiss. What now!!

Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Old 01-25-2013, 12:34 AM   #10
wilsojos
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Fix it BEFORE you hook it up to co2 to carb or you'll lose it all!!! I have heard tell that you can put keg lube on the seals to fix leaks, but can't say for sure. I use a spray bottle of star san to detect leaks.

Quick Reply