Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Will 6 cornies fit in this one?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008, 11:46 PM   #1
gonzo brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Will 6 cornies fit in this one?

I am ready to pull the trigger and buy the 8.8 cf chest freezer, the black sears kenmore model which is on sale for $299 until next week.

I measured the inside dimensions (discounting the hump) and it is 16-3/16" by 24-7/8". If the cornies I buy are 8" diameter, it will 6.

I saw on the WIKI that cornies can be 8" dia and 8-1/2" dia.

I also plan to buy the 2 keg starter kit at midwestern, and their notes say 8" dia.

I plan to pick up 4 more kegs in time, but not sure I can I can gaurantee 8" dia.

What do you think?

Kegged:Brown, WCIPA, orange cascade, Amber, Vanilla Porter
On Deck: APA, RyeIPA, Kolsch

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2008, 12:55 AM   #2
Brew-boy

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Take some paper plates and cut them to the diameter size of the corny and go visit the store again.

Aging: Imperial Oatmeal Stout on Vanilla beans.

I rather owe you a dollar than cheat you out of it.."Dad"

http://lapeerareabrewers.com/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LapeerAreaBrewers/

Old 05-17-2008, 03:19 AM   #3
gonzo brewer

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have not purchased any cornies yet. The sale ends on the 20th so I need to make a decision.

Also, I am planning a furniture style keezer like jester is making.
I have some leftover granite from our kitchen and would like to have a custom fabbed surface.

Old 05-17-2008, 04:36 AM   #4
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I doubt it. Here's a 10 cu. ft. Amana. It might take 6. 5 for sure.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:47 AM   #5
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 578 Times on 340 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Here's an 8.9 Whirlpool.

freezer_wtaps_3.jpg

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 05-17-2008, 05:59 AM   #6
gonzo brewer

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I better get my cornies first. I do not want to undersize my keezer. I think a minumum tap count should be 5 or six.

How much corny space for conditioning is reasonable if I have 5 taps? I'm thinking 1 or 2.

Also, I use a side by side fridge freezer for my fermentation chamber with a temp controller. It runs 67º on refer side and 48º on the freezer side on warm days. Probably warmer on the freezer side during cooler weather. Would the freezer side work well for conditioning instead of a keezer or will the temp swings be a bad thing?

Old 05-19-2008, 08:23 AM   #7
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Don't be bullied by a sale. I'd seriously look on Craigslist for the biggest chest freezer you can find. I'd hate to see you spend $300 for a freezer that will limit you. I find that storage space is a challenge for beers I want to condition for long periods of time. It pretty much requires 2 chest freezers because you can't usually hold more than 6 in your average freezer. If you want 6 taps, there'll be no room left for cold storage. Me, I've got a chest freezer that has 4 taps/holds 4 cornies +1 carboy on the hump. I've almost never had all 4 taps on at once, and if I do, the beer gets old. Some people brew more than others, but 6 taps is quite a lot. Unless you've got people coming over all the time and you brew a lot, you probably don't need that many. Keep in mind that just the faucets go for $40/ea. and that doesn't include the shanks, handles, lines, qd's, etc. It's a small fortune in itself! Make SURE you buy a manifold that can be upgraded (or just build one) or you'll be forced into upgrading later. Maybe this is TMI, but hopefully it helps. If I could do it all over again, I'd just get a massive chest freezer and have a small ferm cabinet. As of now, I've got a collection of fridges, and it's kinda janky

Old 05-19-2008, 01:19 PM   #8
Liquidicem
I love lamp!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

A few weeks ago a purchased a 15 cubic foot freezer on craigslist for $175. It is only 5 years old with very few scratches or anything on it. It took me a while to find the right one, but it was definitely worth the wait. I think it will hold 7-9 cornies with no problem.

Don't poop in your fermenter when the lid is off and you'll be fine.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:26 PM   #9
gonzo brewer

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Don't be bullied by a sale. I'd seriously look on Craigslist for the biggest chest freezer you can find. I'd hate to see you spend $300 for a freezer that will limit you. I find that storage space is a challenge for beers I want to condition for long periods of time. It pretty much requires 2 chest freezers because you can't usually hold more than 6 in your average freezer. If you want 6 taps, there'll be no room left for cold storage. Me, I've got a chest freezer that has 4 taps/holds 4 cornies +1 carboy on the hump. I've almost never had all 4 taps on at once, and if I do, the beer gets old. Some people brew more than others, but 6 taps is quite a lot. Unless you've got people coming over all the time and you brew a lot, you probably don't need that many. Keep in mind that just the faucets go for $40/ea. and that doesn't include the shanks, handles, lines, qd's, etc. It's a small fortune in itself! Make SURE you buy a manifold that can be upgraded (or just build one) or you'll be forced into upgrading later. Maybe this is TMI, but hopefully it helps. If I could do it all over again, I'd just get a massive chest freezer and have a small ferm cabinet. As of now, I've got a collection of fridges, and it's kinda janky
This is great info. You are probably right, 6 taps is alot. I know what you mean about a collection of fridges. I have one standard garage fridge (water, soda overflow from house fridge and bottled beer). A second garage fridge for fermentation (can hold 2 carboys). I don't really want to get 3 more chest freezers.

I don't know why, but my SWMBO is pushing for a new chest freezer instead of a used one, ergo the sears sale.

I do brew 10-15 gallons a month as I give a lot away in bottles (got to stop this). We also entertain and I seem to run out quikly. I've brewed 140 gallons in the last 10 months.

What about a 8.8cf keezer with 4 taps (room for 2 in cold storage). Space for 2 carboys in fermetation fridge. Can throw one more carboy in garage fridge if needed. Would this be sufficient for the average homebrewer?

I'm just tired of bottling.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 942 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Here's some free advice. Don't think that a few positions for conditioning but not pouring is going to satisfy you. I thought that I'd leave one of my 5 spots "unpourable" for conditioning figuring that I'll always kick a keg by the time it's ready. Nope.. That fifth position will be ready to drink and the other ones that have dedicated faucets will still be half full. You'll end up swapping one of the beer lines back and forth.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply