New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Will 1/4" bore shank be a problem with 5/16" beer line?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 12:45 AM   #1
a1lawng
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Will 1/4" bore shank be a problem with 5/16" beer line?

After calculating resistance for the tap system I'm about to set up, I'm going to have to use 5/16" lines. Does anyone see a problem with using a shank with a 1/4" bore at the tap end of the line? Will the sudden drop in size at the very end of the line cause foaming or anything? I have seen one 5/16" bore shank but it wasn't all stainless and I'm trying to stick with SS.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 12:59 AM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 811 Times on 673 Posts

Maybe putting a few feet of choker hose in front of the shank would be a good idea?

How long a run & elevation are you looking at?

Cheers!

Old 01-09-2013, 01:58 AM   #3
a1lawng
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

8-10 feet elevation gain and balancing calculations tell me to use a 16 ft. line, but I haven't taken the shank resistance into account yet.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:24 AM   #4
day_trippr
Recipes 

I expect the shank and faucet resistance would be negligible in the face of a 10 foot lift...

Cheers!

Old 01-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #5
a1lawng
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wasn't thinking of the effect on the overall resistance as much as how it will affect the pour since it's a sudden spike in resistance just before the beer leaves the tap. Think it will mean foamy beer? Maybe there's only one way to find out...

Old 01-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
day_trippr
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1lawng View Post
Wasn't thinking of the effect on the overall resistance as much as how it will affect the pour since it's a sudden spike in resistance just before the beer leaves the tap. Think it will mean foamy beer? Maybe there's only one way to find out...
You can take that potential problem out of the equation by using chokers...

Cheers!

Old 01-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #7
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

I have to ask... WHY are you going with 5/16" ID beer line??? Normal beer line is 3/16" ID. Which also matches up with the bore in shanks to connect to faucets. IMO, going with the large ID beer line is a big mistake. I'd also toss out what the calculation tool is telling you. At least 90% of the time, it's dead wrong. The rest of the time, it's just a loose guide that rarely actually works. I'm using 10' long, 3/16" ID beer lines and pushing beer with 10-14psi through them. On the lower end of the range, it takes a few more seconds to pour a pint. That's the only difference.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
Brewerforlife Likes This 
Old 01-09-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
a1lawng
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I have to ask... WHY are you going with 5/16" ID beer line???
Hi, Golddiggie. I calculated my line diameter and length by using the equation in the Beer Line Length and Elevation section of this web page.

My keg fridge will be in my basement, so there's lift to think about. If I follow the equation I end up having to use 5/16" instead of something smaller. Is your keg far below your tap as mine will be? The link above says that elevation gain requires 1 psi for every 2 feet, so I'll need 3.5 or 4 psi just to fight gravity (before also compensating for resistance).

Old 01-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #9
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1lawng View Post
Hi, Golddiggie. I calculated my line diameter and length by using the equation in the Beer Line Length and Elevation section of this web page.

My keg fridge will be in my basement, so there's lift to think about. If I follow the equation I end up having to use 5/16" instead of something smaller. Is your keg far below your tap as mine will be? The link above says that elevation gain requires 1 psi for every 2 feet, so I'll need 3.5 or 4 psi just to fight gravity (before also compensating for resistance).
I would go with 3/16" line first. As mentioned, a great many of us have found the equation is bunk.

I also hope you've found a way to keep the lines cooled to the same temp as the keg fridge inside. If not, you've got some bigger issues to combat. While it can be ok without any chilling right now, once the warmer months come up, you'll have that issue to face.

BTW, my brew fridge is in the kitchen. The house owner (I'm renting) had a new fridge put in, that didn't fit where the original one went. So there was a space, with power right there. My 10 cubic foot brew fridge fits it really well. I even have space above it to put some things. Besides, when I'm on the second floor (where my home office/tech central is located) it's better to only go to the first floor. I wouldn't want to run the beer lines from the basement, due to several other concerns. I might be building up a secondary keg chiller for down there. But, that will be for my bigger brews (at least 8.5% ABV) that will not be consumed as often or as much volume.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Old 01-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
Brewerforlife
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 106

A 16 ft trunk line has to be chilled somehow, either forced-air or glycol power-pack, or you will have foaming issues for sure.

Quick Reply