Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Wild Brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2006, 11:33 PM   #1
thebull
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Wild Brew

I am getting plenty of foam from my second keg. While trying to balance my system, I now have a fridge temp of 38/40 degrees, 3/16 line 7 1/2 feet long and a varied CO2 pressure from 8 to 14 pounds. I conditioned at 14 pounds and beleive the brew was slightly over carbed. It's a cream ale. I am now at 10 pounds and have been for a few days. What I have noticed is after a pour small air bubbles run up the beer line and accumulate at the shank. If some time passes between pours there may be air visible in the line near the shank, but I think the shank may have much more air in it. I'm sure that causes the foam, however, I don't know what causes the air to accumulate. Even tried to pour at 5 pounds, but had foam.

Is the moving air normal? Please help.

The Bull

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2006, 12:40 AM   #2
Spyk'd

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I've noticed that my stouts and especially my cream stouts need to be dispensed at a pretty low psi (3-5) to not be overly 'heady'. I don't necessarily think that 14 psi was too high to carbonate with, but you didn't say how long you held that pressure. I force carbonate at between 20-30 psi depending on the style, but only overnight. From then on I let the keg sit at it's dispensing pressure for about a week and that seems to work good for me.

What you can do to help remedy this particular batch is reset your pressure to about 5 psi and let it sit for a few days, all the while "helping to relieve pressure" by having a few pints. This will help, trust me.

American Red
Keg Conditioning:
Gruit
On Tap:
ESB
Bottled:
Nada...
On Deck:
Porter, Belgian Abbey Ale

Old 06-19-2006, 01:21 AM   #3
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Yes, having a few pints definitely relieves the pressure.

I don't keg, though.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 06-19-2006, 02:34 AM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

I find a few pints causes pressure. Maybe it's the diuretic in my blood pressure meds.

At that low a temperature, your ales will absorb a great deal of CO2. When they hit the warm tap, they foam. That's not air in the lines, it's CO2 coming out of solution as the line warms.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-19-2006, 04:08 PM   #5
cowain
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

when you adjusted the pressures, did you purge the keg? (pull the little metal thing at the top?)

Old 06-22-2006, 12:30 AM   #6
thebull

Recipes 

No I did not releive the pressure, however, the CO2 level is better since the brew tastes good again. There is no air/gas is the line any longer either. One thing I am doing is pouring into a frozen mug. Is that a problem?

What is the recommended storage/conditioning temp for ale? I prefer to consume at lower temps.

The Bull

Quick Reply