Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Wife Approved Kegerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2006, 04:12 PM   #1
1ill_Biscuit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wife Approved Kegerator

So, I've got this old fridge laying around in my parents basement, and Mi Padre's been on my a$$ to get it out of there since I moved out, like, 5 years ago or so. Now, I've been planning to convert it, but as life progresses, certain compromises must be made, aka SWMBO says no way is that horrid looking thing going in our house. So, in the name of keeping my man-berries (they're in a jar in her closet) I'm trying to figure out a way to make a pretty keg box using the guts of the fridge. I've done some A/C work on my car, and it's pretty much the same idea, right? The big thing thats worrying me is I know that after laying a fridge on it's side, you need to let it sit upright for 24 hours. Is that just for the compressor oil, or do the coils need to be in exactly the same configuration as they are? I'd like to turn the hot coils sideways to get a bar type thing that's longer than it is tall. Any input or advise would be appricated, and feel free to call me whipped, cause it's true.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2006, 04:22 PM   #2
BrewstersMillions
Recipes 

I think you are correct about the compressor oil but I am not certain....

As far as making it pretty , why dont you just go buy some nice hardwood panels and rivit (or screw) them to the outside of the refer?

I have a little hotel fridge I am planning on doing this too. Just be careful not to puncture the inner lining or obstruct the capillary tubes.

Just a thought.

Old 05-11-2006, 04:33 PM   #3
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Constrution adhesive would work well for that and no worries about puncturing anything.

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 05-11-2006, 04:39 PM   #4
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

yeah-- maybe some teak planking would look nice.

Or get really creative and get some cultured stone.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 05-11-2006, 05:35 PM   #5
1ill_Biscuit
Recipes 

I thought about that, but I think I can make a semi-portable insulated box and retro-fit the cooling system into it. I've got a ton of radom construction materials laying around, and I'm thinking if I can turn it sideways and insulate it well, I can get 3 half kegs in there. I'll try to find a free CAD program and submit a draft for critique. Thanks for the input!

Old 05-11-2006, 06:03 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

You can turn the hot coils sideways, provided they will still form a continious, downhill path. The compressor output has to connect to the highest point in the coil, so, as the refrigerant cools and condenses the liquid can flow to the expander.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-11-2006, 07:04 PM   #7
PATECO
Recipes 

With a little creativity and some spraypaint/paint sprayer you could turn that old fridge into one of these

http://www.craigerator.com/Craigerators.htm

~~~~~~Life is a Beach~~~~~~~

Old 05-11-2006, 07:56 PM   #8
brewhead
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

and this is the one want:

http://www.craigerator.com/DSCF0037.JPG

Old 05-11-2006, 08:09 PM   #9
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ill_Biscuit
I thought about that, but I think I can make a semi-portable insulated box and retro-fit the cooling system into it. I've got a ton of radom construction materials laying around, and I'm thinking if I can turn it sideways and insulate it well, I can get 3 half kegs in there. I'll try to find a free CAD program and submit a draft for critique. Thanks for the input!
On subject--- if you are going to be disassembling the cooling system and retrofitting it to a custom container, there are all kinds of opportunites for doing something really cool.

Like building a custom bar with the entire area underneath a refridgerator lined with your kegs.

buy the back end off a 57 chevy or the front end off a *fill in blank of favorite car* and custom craft yoruself a fridge in the container.

Got a 'spare' closet somewhere convienent? Wouldn't a built in fridge be freaking nifty?

Got game? Buy an old arcade game shell. Replace joystick with tap tower.

If you're willing to tear into a fridge to get at the guts, don't just make some lame custom enclosure that amounts to a fridge of a different shape. Go balls out and make something really cool.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 05-11-2006, 08:57 PM   #10
God Emporer BillyBrew

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Should you decide to paint it, it's not too hard if you have the equipment. Just make sure to wet sand it and keep it smooth. Also, you should prime any rusted spots.

---------------------------------------------------
Desert Planet Brewing Co.

Primary :Bloody Nose Porter
Primary 2: Bloody Nose Porter
Secondary: Blackberry Melomel
Secondary 2:air
Bottled : 14 Pound Hammer Cider, Punkin Ale, know ale, Domino wheat
Keg 1: **** Inside Her
Keg 2: IPA
Keg 3: one on a weeknight, two on a weekend IIPA
Future : Ginger Cream Ale,