Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Why the need for a dispensing keg?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2010, 11:38 PM   #11
Octavius
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 21

That's what I'm on about.

Why would the quality go down if I don't rack into a second keg?

Thanks for the idea about the whiskey - I'll check out the local ABC store.

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-28-2010, 11:45 PM   #12
JonK331
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 6

There is a reason people brewers/vintners have been racking off the sediment for hundreds of years: because it makes a better final product. You are going to suck up and disturb the sediment every time you pull a pint. My guess is that you'll waste about a gallon and it will never be clear. If you cut the dip tube, you'll also waste a gallon (and a good dip tube). I'm not sure why you would go to all the trouble of brewing and then cut out an important 30 minute step right at the end. I'm curious now though, give it a shot and let us know.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:30 AM   #13
Octavius
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I hear you but one thing I have noticed in the brewing business is that the old way of doing things may not be the best - take for example hop additions. For centuries they put the hops in at the start of the boil. Now folks are trying out First Wort Hopping and also some folks recommend waiting 30 minutes into the boil before adding any hops.

I think you are right about disturbing the sediment every time you pull a pint. I don't mind cloudy beer but I draw the line at chunks! Ha!

Cheers!

Old 10-29-2010, 03:25 AM   #14
JonK331
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octavius View Post
I hear you but one thing I have noticed in the brewing business is that the old way of doing things may not be the best - take for example hop additions. For centuries they put the hops in at the start of the boil. Now folks are trying out First Wort Hopping and also some folks recommend waiting 30 minutes into the boil before adding any hops.

I think you are right about disturbing the sediment every time you pull a pint. I don't mind cloudy beer but I draw the line at chunks! Ha!

Cheers!
Yeah I agree about the hopping. Adding extra hops at the 30 minute mark to hit the same IBU is awesome, super smooth bitterness.

Quick Reply