The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Why are my new Ventmatic faucets CRAP????

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2013, 10:27 PM   #21
day_trippr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 979 Times on 799 Posts

So, if the note on the ChiCompany site is accurate, and the Vent-Matics are crap, and rear-sealing faucets are notorious in a home dispensing environment for sticking - sometimes hard enough to break tap handles - where are future kegerator operators going to go for faucets?

I suppose before outright panic sets in, someone's going to have to get a confirmation on the demise of the Perl thing.
But I have to say I'm relieved to have a solid six faucet Perl setup and not have to deal with all this drama...

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2013, 01:30 AM   #22
Jeffinn
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yes, one of mine has the leaky bonnet issue too. No amount of tightening will stop the leak. Completely disassembled, cleaned, lubed and reassembled but it still has a slight bonnet leak. I agree with gregthespy, you should hold off on buying these until they get them right.

Just drink it!

Old 11-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #23
ryan_george
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

After reading your troubles with these Ventmatics I have decided just to go ahead and purchase four of the Perlick 525SS taps. I was really excited about the Ventmatics, but it seems as though there are some fundamental issues with them!

Old 11-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #24
sfrisby
Feedback Score: 11 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 210 Times on 144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwarbiany
When I had leak problems with the 525s, they were supposed to send me new 525SS as replacement. Instead, they sent the 408X, a rear-sealing design.

I truthfully have never had a single problem with the 408X sticking. Even as a rear-sealing faucet, they're doing perfectly.
Hmmmm. I remember when we were talking about that in the other thread. I just took my 408x replacement and threw it in my spare parts drawer and forgot about it. If it has been working well, maybe I need to try it out. Thanks.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #25
thadius856

Recipes 

Liked 527 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
So, if the note on the ChiCompany site is accurate, and the Vent-Matics are crap, and rear-sealing faucets are notorious in a home dispensing environment for sticking - sometimes hard enough to break tap handles - where are future kegerator operators going to go for faucets?

I suppose before outright panic sets in, someone's going to have to get a confirmation on the demise of the Perl thing.
But I have to say I'm relieved to have a solid six faucet Perl setup and not have to deal with all this drama...

Cheers!
The 525ss are getting a 600-series replacement that will be similar. Forward sealing, no flow control or creamer, in at least PC and SS. Maybe the SSTF also?

Not worried about it, but will be supplementing my 525ss collection after x-mas.

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 11-28-2013, 03:16 AM   #26
kartracer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartracer View Post
Geez, can't win. I bought three Perlick 525ss, installed one and it had a slow leak, so I put my old standby rear sealing faucet on and dealt with the occasional sticking. So I heard about the comeback of the Ventmatics and bought three form Chi. They are the latest revision. Out of the box, they seemed great, so I took them apart, took pictures of the assembly order to make sure I put them back together correctly, soaked them in PBW and put them back together. Well, they seem to be stuck. Unless I leave the bonnet fairly loose, the range of motion is almost nothing and notchy, like gregthespy mentions above. I'll try lubing one up and see if that helps. (The faucet that is!)
So I put keg lube on all 3 Ventmatics. One got less notchy, the other two still tough to move. I put the one good one on my tower and it poured a decent pint. Then I lubed one of my Perlick 525ss's and screwed it on my tower. Perfection! Smooth action, good pour and after closing it, two drops and done. It's done that consistently over the last night and a few pints. I'll lube my other Perlicks and swap them in to see how they do. If they're as good as the first lubed one, see ya Ventmatics. BTW, none of this is CHI's fault, it's the product. CHI packaged them great and shipped them fast to the East coast along with 3 stainless steel shanks for my towers. Kudos to them. After Turkey Day, I'll contact them about returning the Ventmatics and hopefully their customer service will still be as good.

Old 11-28-2013, 03:54 AM   #27
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 979 Times on 799 Posts

I've been advocating the use of a thin film of keg lube on the two o-rings that capture the faucet lever pivot ball on the Perls since the day I got my half dozen. I believe it makes a huge difference in tuning these faucets, as dry o-rings just won't stay seated right when that ball rotates and tries to roll or twist the o-rings - or even before, when you tighten the bonnet.

My faucets have been dead-on reliable, I wouldn't trade them for anything on the market...

Cheers!

Old 11-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #28
thadius856

Recipes 

Liked 527 Times on 245 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Have four 525SS. The first two always run beer at 12psi, third always runs wine at 5psi, and fourth runs either juice at 5psi or iced tea at 25psi.

Never had one stick or leak in a year of daily use by 3 people, plus plenty of parties and get-togethers.

Will be buying six more 525SS after X-mas. Don't want mis-matched 600-series on the same keezer as 500-series. Even if they look "similar".

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 11-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #29
fpweeks
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I purchased mine on 10-10. On 10-22 they starting shipping the new versions. Mine are very finicky with the front seals....you really have to mess with them to have them not leak or drip. This morning there were a coupe pints of pale ale on the floor......i figured it was the several pints SWMBO had yesterday that caused her not to make sure the faucet was sealed after she poured her last pint.

Then i did a ventmatic search.......

Just emailed Chi Company. We'll see how they do.

One way or another, this week will end with a homebrew.......

https://www.facebook.com/pourhousebrews

Old 11-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #30
Jeffinn
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The ones I received have no brand name on them. I'm guessing the "unbranded" faucets were pre-production releases. Like others, I'll be requesting a refund although based on comments by others in different threads, I'm not holding out high hopes for a quick resolution.

Just drink it!

Newsman Likes This 

Quick Reply