The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Why are my new Ventmatic faucets CRAP????

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2013, 12:53 AM   #11
Jeffinn
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I bought two of the Ventmatics as well. In my opinion, they do not operate as smoothly as my Perlicks. I used mine for a day and took them back out and put the Perlicks back in. They may have been great in the day but this new iteration seems a bit "rough around the edges". It's just my opinion, but I don't see these as a viable replacement for Perlicks. Your mileage may vary.

Just drink it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2013, 01:23 AM   #12
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 481 Times on 280 Posts
Likes Given: 3

When I had leak problems with the 525s, they were supposed to send me new 525SS as replacement. Instead, they sent the 408X, a rear-sealing design.

I truthfully have never had a single problem with the 408X sticking. Even as a rear-sealing faucet, they're doing perfectly.

So I'm not sure how much of the sticking problem has to do with being rear-sealing, and how much has to do with being *cheap* and rear-sealing.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #13
Gregthespy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

So I arrived home from work to find a padded envelope in my mail box, I reached in and noticed that it felt quite a bit heavier than what I expected a couple of revised seals to be. It turns out that the CHI Company sent me three NEW Rev.1.1 faucets! In addition to 6 updated seals to repair my current faucets and have a set to spare!

At first glance, the new faucets appear to be the same, the main difference that sets them apart is that the new ones have "Vent-Matic" laser etched on both sides. The patent number etched on the bottom is the same, so no major redesigns as far as patents go.

And as far as I can tell, the internals seem to be identical to appearance. The only difference internally is the forward rubber seal that sits on the front of the slide is a standard O-ring instead of a injection molded piece that slanted back tawards the rear of the faucet. Untill I get some time to put some calipers on all of the parts i'd say that's it as far as design changes go.

I just really hope this solves this problem as well as the bonnets leaking. I'm going to swap one out with a current keg and see if it's any better. I'll report back!

Old 11-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #14
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1902 Times on 1373 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

Man, you can't beat that!

Old 11-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #15
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 980 Times on 800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Man, you can't beat that!
Demonstrably correct: there's at least some scrap value in all those stainless steel lumps if the whole leak problem isn't resolved...

Cheers!

Old 11-24-2013, 01:18 AM   #16
kartracer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Geez, can't win. I bought three Perlick 525ss, installed one and it had a slow leak, so I put my old standby rear sealing faucet on and dealt with the occasional sticking. So I heard about the comeback of the Ventmatics and bought three form Chi. They are the latest revision. Out of the box, they seemed great, so I took them apart, took pictures of the assembly order to make sure I put them back together correctly, soaked them in PBW and put them back together. Well, they seem to be stuck. Unless I leave the bonnet fairly loose, the range of motion is almost nothing and notchy, like gregthespy mentions above. I'll try lubing one up and see if that helps. (The faucet that is!)

Old 11-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #17
Jeffinn
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Yeah, "notchy" is the word I'd use to describe mine as well. Tried disassembling them and using some lube on the parts but it didn't seem to change much. They're sending me the revised seals but I don't believe that'll change the functionality of the faucets.

Just drink it!

Old 11-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #18
Gregthespy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

The one revised faucet I installed last night seems to be a lot smoother than the previous three I received. I'm not sure if it's just a "luck of the draw" type thing because one of the three I got in the original batch worked and functioned flawlessly, and the other two had either a leaky bonnet or a leaky bonnet and notchy action. Only time will tell.

I tried polishing out the moving parts on the really notchy faucet, as this has helped with tight gun bolts/actions, it didn't seem to help much.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:59 AM   #19
brandonhagen1
this beer is good
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I bought 1from lhbs and it is perfect but i did not get mine from chi company

god made beer,beer is good,beer is good,BEER!!!

from Stupid Gnome Brewing

"I feel wonderful, drinking beer in a blissful mood, with joy in my heart and a happy liver." — Sumerian inscription, 3000 BCE

Old 11-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #20
Gregthespy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Welp, went to pull a pint after work from the faucet I replaced last night and looks like the leaky bonnet issue is still a problem. I had a sticky syurp trail from around the bonnet to the bottom of the faucet and a nice collection of it in my drip tray directly below.
Here's my fair warning, DON'T EVER BUY VENTMATICS!!! To be fair it seems like they did fix the drippy forward seal from what I can tell from one day of operating. But again, only time will tell...

Quick Reply