Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Why the hate on agitating?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #1
nickharbour
Troll
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Why the hate on agitating?

I see lots of threads where people set a psi and leave it for weeks to achieve proper carb. I still don't understand why. Dissolved co2 is dissolved co2 so there can't be a taste difference.

I set at 30psi and agitate till I no longer hear bubbling. then I release the pressure and re pressurize at serving pressure. after an overnight in the kegerator to cool down I always get a perfect carb and perfect pour in < 24 hours.

Why are people waiting weeks to get the same carbonation you can get in five minutes?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 6

if you set it at serving pressure then there's no way to over carb. also cold conditioning for a week or two is usually a good thing. my beers are usually carbed decently with in a few days and pretty much done in a week. but they always taste better after two weeks in the fridge (and even better after three if they make it that long)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsweet View Post
I would make a yeast starter, and pitch it into your mailbox.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 23

It's not just a carb level. We like to condition the ale as well. I understand what you are saying if you need to rush a beer, but the quality does improve with time so if no need to rush, then don't rush.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #4
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Also, the carbonic acid you are rushing into the beer by force carbing takes time to dissipate. No matter the technique, proper conditioning takes about 2-3 weeks in the keg before the beer is hitting its prime. Many of us just do the waiting while carbing. It is less work and easier to attain my desired volumes of CO2.

But, to each his own.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
nickharbour
Troll
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycov View Post
if you set it at serving pressure then there's no way to over carb. also cold conditioning for a week or two is usually a good thing. my beers are usually carbed decently with in a few days and pretty much done in a week. but they always taste better after two weeks in the fridge (and even better after three if they make it that long)
is over carbing really a problem for most people who agitate? I just find it odd that in all the batches I've done I've never encountered that as an issue. reading all the stuff on this site makes it sound like you're pretty much guaranteed to over carb if you agitate but I'm just saying I'm skeptical. i have screwed everything else up in brewing about as bad as it can be but overcarbing seems to be beyond even my level of fail. I should add that I'm force carbing at room temp, which is less co2 than at refridge temp.

beers tasting better with time in a fridge has nothing to do with the carbing method I wouldn't think, after the first few hours. I'm no BJCP grandmaster lvl 5. nightelf mohawk but I really can't tell the difference in my beers based on just time in the fridge. I can detect hops mellowing out over time and such in certain beers though, so I'm not a total noob.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1009 Times on 675 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It's not about guaranteed overcarbing. It's just that if and when it does happen, it's a huge pain in the ass to get it back down. There is also some debate about head retaining proteins being "used up" during this shaking procedure. Of course, at the moment I can't recall who said it via what media outlet. I do remember it being from someone credible enough for me to think twice about it until further notice.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 05-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
mb2696
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
It's not about guaranteed overcarbing. It's just that if and when it does happen, it's a huge pain in the ass to get it back down. There is also some debate about head retaining proteins being "used up" during this shaking procedure. Of course, at the moment I can't recall who said it via what media outlet. I do remember it being from someone credible enough for me to think twice about it until further notice.
I've heard Jamil say it several times. I'm inclined to not believe it, but like you said, his credibility...

Old 05-11-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
nickharbour
Troll
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Probably some difference in some sort of scientific lab study or something, but I still get terrific long lasting head with nice lacing on my beers (style dictating of course). If these little differences and opinions are going to keep my kegerator full of beer I can't drink I think I'll stick with my way.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:08 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1009 Times on 675 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It's like anything else. "It works fine for me", especially in the context of something most people caution against, is fine for you until you hit that same point that got everyone recommending against it. You'll overcarb and spend a few days purging it down. Some day you'll get a pipeline going to the point where you're not in such a hurry for the next batch to pour down your gullet. Until then,

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 05-11-2011, 08:08 PM   #10
AZ_IPA
PKU

Recipes 

Liked 6192 Times on 5384 Posts
Likes Given: 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickharbour View Post
Probably some difference in some sort of scientific lab study or something, but I still get terrific long lasting head with nice lacing on my beers (style dictating of course). If these little differences and opinions are going to keep my kegerator full of beer I can't drink for a week or two I think I'll stick with my way of potentially over-carbing and drinking green beer.
Fixed.

Seriously, though - if you like the results you're getting, I wouldn't really care what others think...

Quick Reply