Why is this happening. (Air in lines)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I chill the beer to serving temp. I set it 30 and roll it for 5 minutes. Then I turn the gas off and release the pressure. I set it back to serving pressure and put it back in the fridge. Usually ready to drink within a day or 2 after that.

I have 2 thermometers, one on top and one on bottom.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I will probably continue doing it the current way. I appreciate the insight though! I figure, with a 95% success rate, I may have to de-carb one keg every 3 months. On average it will add about 3-4 days on one keg every 3 months while saving 3-4 days on every other keg. I can deal with that! If I find I'm missing my target CO2 more often I'll reassess my odds. At that point I'll try the 30 psi for a few days then set to serving pressure. I may even try it anyway just to get a feel for it!

In the process of degassing the keg as we speak. Thank you to everyone for all the advice and insight!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yes, overcarbing will cause the c02 to come out of solution like that in the lines, in an attempt to reach equilibrium. If it works for you, no need to change but just as food for thought- if you do the exact same thing, but with no shaking, you may never have this happen again.

What I mean is this- put the keg on the gas in the kegerator for 36 hours at 30 psi. Purge, and then reset for your normal pressure. (Mine is 12 psi at 40 degrees). I just did this on Monday. I put a warm keg in the kegerator at 30 psi. Last night I sampled, and it was close-ish but not fully carbed. This morning, I reset to 12 psi and I will be drinking it tonight. It will continue to improve over the next two days or so, but it's really good right now. No overcarbing, ever, and no foaming either. Plus, no shaking means NO sediment after pouring the first two ounces off.

I will probably continue doing it the current way. I appreciate the insight though! I figure, with a 95% success rate, I may have to de-carb one keg every 3 months. On average it will add about 3-4 days on one keg every 3 months while saving 3-4 days on every other keg. I can deal with that! If I find I'm missing my target CO2 more often I'll reassess my odds. At that point I'll try the 30 psi for a few days then set to serving pressure. I may even try it anyway just to get a feel for it!

In the process of degassing the keg as we speak. Thank you to everyone for all the advice and insight!

FYI, this method seems to have worked well for overcarbed kegs.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/overcarbed-keg-heres-instant-solution-127655/

Got it!! Ran gas in through the out line for a few seconds then vented. Repeated 3 times.
Right back to normal. Thanks all!!!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back