New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Why did I start kegging?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
rsmith179
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Why did I start kegging?!

It is absolutely unbelievable how quickly beer goes after you start pouring pints from a keg! 5 gallons in 3 weeks? This could quickly turn into trouble. I'll admit, I was definately not the only one drinking, but I was the majority stakeholder...

To all you guys and gals out there wanting to start kegging, go for it! It is fairly inexpensive to get started if you check out the right places. My freezer was picked up off of Craigslist for $50.00. I bought my Ranco temperature controller for about $60.00 (pre-wired). And I got a 2-keg dual-regulator kit from Midwest for $215.00 including shipping.

Admittedly, as with all other "side projects" in this obsession, more equipment has been purchased and has upped the total amount spent. More gas and beer lines, 2 more kegs, and a 4-way splitter to be exact. All in all though, I think I've spent right around $450-500 for all the equipment. I'm far from being done though....

Been eyeing up some of the "keezer" projects on the forums and will soon be ordering faucets and will be building something similiar to Jester's keezer (you da man Jester!). Sorry for the long post, but just wanted to let you bottlers out there know that kegging is fun, easy, and makes you drink more! To you guys out there with the kegging setups already, thanks for planting the seed!

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
sundowner
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmith179 View Post
It is absolutely unbelievable how quickly beer goes after you start pouring pints from a keg! 5 gallons in 3 weeks? This could quickly turn into trouble.
I thought I had this problem solved. I built the bar in another building South of the main house. But then, I started sleeping in the bar.

A person who knows everything, knows nothing...

Old 06-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

When I first started brewing and kegging I went through 10+ gallons a month. It's tapered off after a year of brewing. Now two kegs last 2 to 3 months. My liver is almost back to normal.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
noid
Recipes 

The problem I have is I am brewing much more... started kegging and taking my kegs to this and that and next thing I know the kegs are empty and need refilling. I am brewing this weekend for events in late July.

I know I will be moving up in my batch sizes real soon....

Old 06-12-2009, 10:43 PM   #5
FxdGrMind
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I know I will be moving up in my batch sizes real soon....

You just said what was going through my mind this week. 5 gal batches just aren't lasting long enough. By the time they hit their "PRIME" on the tap... they are Gone....

So I'm right there with ya, Got to expand the Garage and brew bigger and expand storage so I don't run dry just when it gets really good.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:26 AM   #6
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My kegged beer would last longer if i stopped having parties.... I brew a batch of beer anytime more than 5 people are gonna be here, and there are alot of people here in the summer.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:40 AM   #7
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I just like not having to look at all the bottles that accumulate un the cabinet under the sink... it is less embaressing to keg my beer!

Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Old 06-14-2009, 02:01 PM   #8
Battery_BreweryNJ

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmike View Post
I just like not having to look at all the bottles that accumulate un the cabinet under the sink... it is less embaressing to keg my beer!
I still have this problem even tho i keg. I still find myself collecting bottles. I have about 10-12 cases stored away.

Fermenting: ESB

Drinking: Feelin' Witty(DH w/ Citra)

Watts Brewing Blog

Quick Reply