New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Where to mount faucets on keezer collar?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2660 Times on 1714 Posts
Likes Given: 2170

Default Where to mount faucets on keezer collar?

I've built a keezer from a 7cu.ft. freezer and a 6" collar. The freezer has the normal compressor hump on the right side.

In the next week I'll receive 4 perlick faucets with 4" shanks. My question is: where to mount them?

It seems natural to mount them over the hump, as far right as possible, so they are out of the way of the 4 cornies that will be in there. But I've seen many keezers that have the faucets centered on the freezer.

Any thoughts on this kegging brothers & sisters? I'd like to avoid the stupid mistake when I start drilling.

Eyes closed, we imagined our pain as a ball of white healing light floating around our feet and rising to our knees, our waist, our chest. Our chakras opening. The heart chakra. The head chakra. Chloe talked us into caves where we meet our power animal. Mine was a penguin.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 813 Times on 674 Posts

Having managed a 6 faucet keezer for a couple of years, "out of the way" seems preferable over the long haul. There's a good chance that folks that went with symmetry - and especially those with long shanks and a tight fitting keezer - regret it...

Cheers!

Old 11-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2669 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 3464

I went for the right down the center option for the 3 on mine. I also set it up such that if I wanted to add two more I could.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I went for the right down the center option for the 3 on mine. I also set it up such that if I wanted to add two more I could.
Yea, I think that looks better. Any regrets? Do the shanks interfere when moving cornies in/out?

Since 4 cornies just barely fit in mine, I'm concerned that shanks will interfere big time.
Eyes closed, we imagined our pain as a ball of white healing light floating around our feet and rising to our knees, our waist, our chest. Our chakras opening. The heart chakra. The head chakra. Chloe talked us into caves where we meet our power animal. Mine was a penguin.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2669 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 3464

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
Yea, I think that looks better. Any regrets? Do the shanks interfere when moving cornies in/out?

Since 4 cornies just barely fit in mine, I'm concerned that shanks will interfere big time.
It's tight. I don't regret it. But with my 10 inch collar I can get kegs on the hump if I want to put more than three in there if I ever go to 5 kegs, and I can use it now to crash cool a bucket or a carboy.

The thing I'm not sure about, is that at some point, probably before I would ever go two taps where I have those punch out, is a stout tap, probably around on the left side of the keezer (if you ever saw the Northern Brewer make a keezer vid on youtube, that's where they put there's.) That may make it harder to move things around it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-30-2012, 07:18 PM   #6
bknifefight
Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I mounted mine to the side so I could have a nice large 12" handle on the other side.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:52 AM   #7
summerofgeorge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you double-hinge your collar, they won't be in the way no matter where you put them. I did this and put my faucets (with 4 inch shanks) in the center. When I'm making small adjustments or checking on my precious kegs, I just pop the freezer lid up. When I'm moving kegs in or out, I lift the collar up too.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:07 AM   #8
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerofgeorge View Post
If you double-hinge your collar, they won't be in the way no matter where you put them. I did this and put my faucets (with 4 inch shanks) in the center. When I'm making small adjustments or checking on my precious kegs, I just pop the freezer lid up. When I'm moving kegs in or out, I lift the collar up too.
Oh, I see. That's an idea that hadn't occurred to me.

Thanks. I learned something new tonight.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:40 AM   #9
Billybrewer09
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

I just attached my lid to the collar. The taps and all the lines lift out of the way.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #10
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybrewer09 View Post
I just attached my lid to the collar. The taps and all the lines lift out of the way.
Yea, I thought about that. Didn't seem near as clean. Once I get my faucets I might have regrets though.

Quick Reply