Where to get bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moobert88

Reaction score
Am making my first batch of home brew and I am the cheapest nam I know. I am looking at getting a couple of cases of used bottles and wondered where you seasoned vets would suggest to this rookie? Bars, recycling centers, or somewhere I haven't thought of yet?

Yeah those places work. But if you drink beer save the bottles. Or just buy 2 cases its not like you can't reuse them

usually someone on craigslist has bottles available at some non-free but cheaper than new price. on mine right now, someone has 100 bombers for $40 and someone else has 150 12 ounces for $20.

When need extra bottles in a hurry, I go to the recycling center with a fish net and dip the good ones out of the dumpster. I give them a good soak in Oxyclean to clean them up and remove the labels and I'm good to go.

I am in a bottle deposit State so when I need to get more bottles due to give aways and other bottle loses I head to the local beverage center.

They sell me 12 oz browns for less than $2.00 a case.

Since they have not been through my pipeline they get a 2-3 hour soak in Oxy to remove labels and soften any interior gunk then a hot rinse, a visual inspection and they are ready to go. When bottling day comes a quick rinse and a few pumps on the vinator with StarSan and in goes the beer.

bosco

Why not buy 2-3 cases and drink them! That's the best way I can think of to get bottles. At least the most fun!

Put a post on craigslist looking for bottles, check the thread in the Classified section that has free bottles, e-mail family and friends and ask them to hold bottles for you, buy beer and drink it, etc.

When I just started out I did a few - drank commercial for bottles, got from family and friends and bought some at the LHBS. After a while, you should amass quite a collection - especially if your friends/family are big drinkers. I have someone who still gives me 2-3 cases every 3 weeks.

I used all bottles I had drank and saved. Didn't really take as long as you'd think . . . :drunk:

If you're not sure where to get empty beer bottles, I'm afraid you might have picked the wrong hobby, my friend.

Back