Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Where to get 12oz Belgian Cork Bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 04:33 AM   #1
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Where to get 12oz Belgian Cork Bottles

I have a question. I was reading the NHC entry guidelines, and they say that cork and wire bottles are acceptable for Belgian entries, but the bottle must be between 10 and 14 oz. I tried several searches and it looks like just about all the bottles and corking information out there pertains to 750 ml bottles.

Does anyone know a source for such bottles?

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
killian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I think russian river, lost abbey and another brewery are using them but I have no idea where you could find them for sale. Good luck!

damn I gotta brew something

Old 03-26-2010, 03:09 AM   #3
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanx for the reply killian

I'm not even certain I need them for sure, but I broke down and went to Whole Foods. I was able to pick up (2) 13 oz corkable bottles for $13 a piece.

Oh and I should mention they are filled with Russian River Supplication.

I have never had Supplication but it sure sounds interesting. It is a brown ale aged for a year in French oak Pinot Noir barrels with three strains of bugs, Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, Pediococcus and sour cherries .

I'll be sampling this weekend.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Old 03-26-2010, 08:45 AM   #4
killian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

you lucky bastard

Old 03-26-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
killian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

mail me your dregs

Old 03-28-2010, 06:24 AM   #6
killian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

please,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 03-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Killian:

I just uncorked one tonight. Now let me preface by saying I am not a huge fan of sour beers. I don't dislike them, they are just hit and miss for me. This beer was exactly as I had hoped. It has a very pronounced sourness that brings the pucker up front on the first sip. By the second or third sip my taste buds tuned into the flavor and I really started enjoying this sour ale. It is well done and well aged. Vinnie, and Russian River are way on their game with this one.
I'd say I took about 45 minutes to get through the 13 oz bottle. The flavor is intensely sour, with just a hint of the sour cherry riding through the center of the palate, yet smoothly balanced, sort of like a fine whiskey. The flavor starts boldly clean and sour, and carries through the palate without missing a beat. Defintely a beer to be sipped and savorred. I preferred the taste as the beer warmed some. It came out of a 39 degree keezer. The flavor peaked about 20-30 minutes in, and then as the beer further warmed I felt it was not quite as good as it was at the 20-30 minute time frame, although it never approaced unpalatable.

Now I don't mean to tell you all this just to make you further suffer. I hate to think of a fellow brew brother in need if I can help. I am more than happy to offer to send you one, particularly if you are a fan of such beers. I just would like something local in return. Doesn't have to be a sour. As I said, I am hit and miss with them. I like a moderate range of styles, but IPA and lighter colored Belgians are my favorites. If you have access to Bell's Two Hearted, a couple bottles of that would be great. I know I'm asking 2 for 1, but the supplication is running $13 a bottle. Let me know.

Cheers

Old 03-29-2010, 04:59 AM   #8
killian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I really appreciate the offer, I will send you a PM at some point. Getting some RR would be sweet

Old 03-29-2010, 05:05 AM   #9
mullenite
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The other brewery is North Coast, they used them for Old Rasputin XII. IIRC they are part of the reason the price jumped so much which means they are probably pretty pricey on their own.

Quick Reply