Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Where to buy cider jugs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
Brewin_Bob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Where to buy cider jugs

Anyone know of a good place to buy cider jugs? I'm brew EdWort's Apfelwein and I'm trying to find an aesthetic container to bottle it in.

Also, I've got 5 gallons of the cider fermenting away. I'd like to bottle a gallon in about 4 or 5 weeks and let the rest age some more for varied periods of time. If I were to rack a gallon out at a time, what would be the concern as far as oxidation? Should I just bottle all of it at the same time and let the individual bottles age or would it benefit more from aging at a greater volume?

-- Kings Full Brewery --
-- Currently Being Remodeled --

Primary:None
Secondary:None
Conditioning:Lemstrac Wine, first mead
Bottled:None

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2008, 09:52 AM   #2
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsava423
Anyone know of a good place to buy cider jugs? I'm brew EdWort's Apfelwein and I'm trying to find an aesthetic container to bottle it in.

Also, I've got 5 gallons of the cider fermenting away. I'd like to bottle a gallon in about 4 or 5 weeks and let the rest age some more for varied periods of time. If I were to rack a gallon out at a time, what would be the concern as far as oxidation? Should I just bottle all of it at the same time and let the individual bottles age or would it benefit more from aging at a greater volume?
I personally like to use the Big Flip top bottles for cider, You can sit down and sip on them and you dont have to carry around the 1 gallon jugs, However if you want the jugs, Northern Brewer have them for 4 bucks a piece, And I would not worry about Oxidation with cider I splash the hell out of mine and never have and problems.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 01-28-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

My HBS/beer and wine store sells used 4 liter wine jugs for $2 each. Its what I use for my wine and mead experiments.

Craig

Old 01-19-2010, 01:27 AM   #4
Mayhew
Recipes 

try contacting your local grocer or liberal type(meant in love) store and inquire about geting the jugs that are brought in for recycling. i think some of them have deopsits or watch for them to be left in recycling bins.

Quick Reply