Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > When to Keg??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
frankieboy007
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default When to Keg??

Long time homebrewer finally getting my shot at kegging. My question for those with some experience is: When do you normally keg, after primary, or should I perform a secondary? This is a batch of Northern German Altbier, and has been in primary for 2 weeks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
orion7144
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

I never secondary. I do not brew big beers so not sure if that would play a roll.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
frankieboy007
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion7144 View Post
I never secondary. I do not brew big beers so not sure if that would play a roll.
This isn't a big beer, 1.055 OG. I want to cold condition it for at least a month as I will be pulling a few bottles from it for MCAB XV, which is in May (no specific date yet).

Old 03-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
hillhousesawdustco
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Like all things in brewing and law school: it depends.

It is totally fine to rack directly from primary to the keg, especially for a beer that should clear up fairly quickly like an Altbier. Like always just to try to keep the yeast/trub in the fermenter, not your keg.

For big messy IIPAs or oaked porters or whatnot I will often transfer to secondary for a few weeks and let everything really settle down before racking to the keg.

But it really doesn't matter- as long as the beer is donezo you can put 'er in the keg and start carbing up.

Congrats on your first foray into kegging- it is the freaking best.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
gbx
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The best thing about kegging is you can completely eliminate oxygen exposure. If you have an enough extra kegs, I recommend using one as a secondary. Make a hose with 2 "out" connectors so you can transfer to a clean keg off the slop once the beer is clear.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
GrayTopBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbx
The best thing about kegging is you can completely eliminate oxygen exposure. If you have an enough extra kegs, I recommend using one as a secondary. Make a hose with 2 "out" connectors so you can transfer to a clean keg off the slop once the beer is clear.
I remember listening to a brew strong episode about fermentation. Kegs were not recommended to ferment in because of the height to width ratio of kegs being higher than a bucket or carboy which could stress the yeast. I believe osmotic pressure was the term used. Have you had any similar problems with the keg as a secondary? I would imagine it would be more severe on the primary fermentation.
Bottled: Honey Saison (Full Barn), Jalapeño Honey Saison (Granero Completo), Pale Ale (Dribble Liquid)

Old 03-10-2013, 04:58 AM   #7
gbx
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayTopBrewing View Post
I remember listening to a brew strong episode about fermentation. Kegs were not recommended to ferment in because of the height to width ratio of kegs being higher than a bucket or carboy which could stress the yeast. I believe osmotic pressure was the term used. Have you had any similar problems with the keg as a secondary? I would imagine it would be more severe on the primary fermentation.
I've never had any problems like that. Depending on the yeast and beer, I'll do a week or 2 primary in a bucket or carboy before putting it in my secondary keg. There really is nothing going on except clearing If I'm dry hopping I'll put the hops in a bag and rack the beer in on top. Its easy to pull samples off and see when its clear or when the hoping is right.

if you listen to jamil talk about no-secondary, he is actually doing a secondary in a keg. I can't remember what ep. I think it might be one of the lager shows.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:16 AM   #8
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1346 Times on 1088 Posts

When I walk through commercial breweries - and I mean every single one I've ever been in - the geometry of the fermentation tanks is way closer to that of a corny keg than a bucket or carboy.

Just sayin'...

Cheers!

Old 03-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #9
spaceyaquarius
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr View Post
When I walk through commercial breweries - and I mean every single one I've ever been in - the geometry of the fermentation tanks is way closer to that of a corny keg than a bucket or carboy.

Just sayin'...

Cheers!
Even if the geometry is similar, the cross-sectional area is not. That's what's important - not the general geometry of the fermentation tank.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
gbx
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceyaquarius View Post
Even if the geometry is similar, the cross-sectional area is not. That's what's important - not the general geometry of the fermentation tank.
I think this is another example of "over-sciencing" homebrewing. I would put "osmotic pressure" in the same category as "hot side aeration" (as in "maybe it has some effect but it is so small in 5gal batch that its not worth adding even 1 minute of effort to you brew day to avoid it") but I wouldn't use a keg for primary as my 5gal cornies are too small for a 5 gal batch.

Quick Reply

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS