HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > When to filter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
rklinck
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default When to filter

So I have a bunch of people coming over to my house for a BBQ (for my b-day) next weekend. I plan to filter some of my brews so that they will be clear (or at least clearish). I know, I know. . . I should have brewed these sooner so that they would have more time to drop clear on their own; unfortunately, I didn't, so I find myself in this situation.

I am wondering whether I will get better results if I let the beer sit in the kegs in the fridge (purged but not under pressure) for a few days before filtering. I always cold crash before kegging, so it is not a matter of chilling the brew. My thinking was that letting the kegs settle will allow some of the stuff to drop out, making the filter more effective. Anyway, any thoughts are appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
ghosthef
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 30 Posts

I've gotten good results from using gelatin. No filtering required.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
hunter_la5
Recipes 

Liked 208 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 536

Yes, it is best to cold crash before filtering. The more stuff you can get to drop out first, the more effective the filter will be and the faster the wort can run through the filter. Make sure the beer hasn't been carbed yet or you will have one heck of an ordeal.

Gelatin's also a good option to try. I've done both. I generally prefer just the gelatin for most brews, but for really light colored beers the filter really helps them shine.

Primary: Brazos Bock
Bottled: JAOM
On Tap:1. Brandon O's Graf

Old 04-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
rklinck

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Thank. I don't want to use gelatin because I like for my beer to be vegetarian friendly.

I certainly cold crash before transferring to the keg. My question was more whether I should let the keg sit in the fridge beyond the cold crash prior to filtering.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #5
hunter_la5
Recipes 

Liked 208 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by rklinck View Post
I certainly cold crash before transferring to the keg. My question was more whether I should let the keg sit in the fridge beyond the cold crash prior to filtering.
Yes, I would cold crash again in the keg before filtering, and filter while the beer is still cold.

Primary: Brazos Bock
Bottled: JAOM
On Tap:1. Brandon O's Graf

Old 04-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
BansheeRider

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Yooper posted an article on this forum that explains how commercial breweries chill the beer a certain way so that the beer gets extreme chill haze, then they filter it removing the materials causing the chill haze. This is a process that I may try with my next batch, an Belgian Blonde.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement.

Quick Reply