Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > What's the diff between CO2 and beer gas?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2013, 10:15 PM   #31
schroeder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickyDick View Post
I'm also thinking about removing the Y on the gas in side and running a separate beer gas only line into the cooler with a flare nut so I can dispense commercial Guinness or corny keg stout home brews setting pressure just with the primary tank regulator and no secondary regulator. I think I need to drill a hole to do this though, and have been reluctant to do so, since its working good like it is.

TD
That setup sounds preferable from my perspective, but if you want greater flexibility there is another alternative.
I am goingtoassume that the secondary regulators in your cooleraresimilarin design to the ones manufactured by Cornelius/Taprite/Micromatic etc being that there is a guage dialon thew top, a shutoff valve or barb on the bottom at the outlet, and 2 barbs on the sides,or a barb and a plug, which are the regulator high side,or inlets.

if you drill the second hole in your fridge and run your stout gas line into the fridge...

replace the barbs/plug in the sides of the last secondary regulator with gas cocks. connect CO2 to one side,and stout gas to the other. Open the gas cock for the blend that you want to use for the product that you have connected (and close the other gas cock naturally)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #32
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroeder View Post
That setup sounds preferable from my perspective, but if you want greater flexibility there is another alternative.
I am goingtoassume that the secondary regulators in your cooleraresimilarin design to the ones manufactured by Cornelius/Taprite/Micromatic etc being that there is a guage dialon thew top, a shutoff valve or barb on the bottom at the outlet, and 2 barbs on the sides,or a barb and a plug, which are the regulator high side,or inlets.

if you drill the second hole in your fridge and run your stout gas line into the fridge...

replace the barbs/plug in the sides of the last secondary regulator with gas cocks. connect CO2 to one side,and stout gas to the other. Open the gas cock for the blend that you want to use for the product that you have connected (and close the other gas cock naturally)
That is rather ingenious! Thanks! I think it'll be challenging to plumb in that just because of my physical layout.

My cooler is setup as follows. Perlick, back bar unit I believe. Compressor on left, three doors to right, and its bumped right against the wall/corner on the right side. So gas line comes in on left, where there is room for the cylinders. I'd have to run a gas line all the way to the end of the cooler to connect to the last secondary. My salesman kinda screwed up from the beginning, seling me a four product dispense, when I wanted a 6. We got that fixed, but still only had 4 secondary regulators. The installer graciously gave me 2 for free which aren't as nice as the Perlick's (harder to adjust and seem less sturdy). Those two are on the end of the line. I suppose they'll work fine however, though will need to ensure they both have the dual barb/plug tapped. Can't imagine they wouldnt.

Do you know a source for the gas cocks? and also, been considering replacing the existing gascocks with ones with integral check valves.

Thanks again!

TD

Old 08-20-2013, 12:39 AM   #33
schroeder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I have not ever been a fan of the Perlick gas cocks on those regulators. I found that if they fail they are a PITA to check, and I have had many installs where we have removed and replaced them all (generally older installs so newer hardware may be fine)

The Perlick secondary regulators are tapped with 1/4" fpt on both sides (as well as top and bottom)

You can find the gas-cocks at most homebrew shops, Micromatic or Foxx Equipment websites, or several others.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:07 AM   #34
TrickyDick
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Thanks! Here's hoping that my gas cocks don't fail. Know of any 1/4" gas cocks with integrated check valves?

TD

Quick Reply