The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Whats in the beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
Mato23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Whats in the beer?

So I made a sierra nevada clone and has been in the bottle just over 3 weeks. Havent looked at them till yesterday. I picked one up and there was tons of white stuff in suspension in the bottle. I took one and put it in the fridge last night and almost all of it fell to the bottom. Aside from the white floaters the beer is very clear. I tried using gelatin in the secondary and thus thought that would have taken most of the yeast out of suspension before bottling. I racked to secondary, left in for 1.5 weeks, added half of a pouch(1 or the 5 that comes in the Knox box, i think it was like 1.5grams) of gelatin. I let the gelatin sit in the secondary for 5 or six days then bottled. I assume people are going to say it is yeast but why is there so much? I left about a quarter gallon in the bottling bucket. I tasted the beer and it tastes like a sierra pale ale, so no noticeable off flavors. So im just wondering, if this is just yeast, why so much?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 423 Times on 344 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Probably yeast, although maybe the gelatin. How did you add the gelatin? If you just sprinkled it in, then it could be gelatin.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:26 PM   #3
Mato23
Recipes 

i boiled water let it cool to like 150, let it dissolve and cool down to room temp then funnelled into carboy, only thing i can think is that gelatin didnt mix well until it went into the bottling bucket

Old 02-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Most folks who use gelatin also cold crash it afterwards. The gelatin doesn't really do much until it gets cold so it'll settle out at the bottom of the bottle if you don't cold crash it before bottling. If they're properly carbonated, I'd suggest leaving them in the fridge for while to settle out and then pour gently.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 02-27-2010, 10:13 PM   #5
bendavanza
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

looks like little jello balls

Old 02-27-2010, 10:47 PM   #6
Beerbeque
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

The same thing happened to me the one and only time I used gelatin so I never used it again.

Give us this day our liquid bread

Quick Reply