Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > What temp to carb a lager?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
jpm5171988
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What temp to carb a lager?

Hello all. I recently brewed my first lager, an Oktoberfest. Just transferred it to secondary, and was wondering how exactly should I carbonate the beer after priming and bottling? Any info will help, as I am new to lagering.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
Psych
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I think the conventional method of put it at 70f for a couple weeks works here as well, but technically I guess you could leave it at whatever temperature the yeast will still be active at. Probably faster at 70f though, and not really any worry about off flavors at that point from high 'fermentation' temps.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
jpm5171988
Recipes 

Then what? I've heard Of a method where after the beer is carbonated you drop the temperature a few degrees a day until the beer is just above freezing, and age it at this temp. Does that sound about right?

Old 08-05-2012, 05:41 AM   #4
Psych
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 30

That would be bottle lagering. If you've already lagered ("to store at cold temps" basically) during/after fermentation, you don't need to do this. If you've not gone super cold for a long time before bottling, then you'll want to do that if you want as close to a true lager as you could get, having not already done the lagering step. At this point I'd say just drop it right down to 34f or so and let it sit in bottles (after carbing) for a month or so if you want to, don't bother with the degree per day stuff, since that step probably makes the most sense when done just after fermentation.

Quick Reply