Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > What Shank Length for Keezer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #1
RichBenn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default What Shank Length for Keezer?

I read somewhere that having a longer shank means a colder faucet meaning less likely "first pour" foam(CO2 coming out of solution due to warmth).

If this is so, what is a good shank length for a Keezer with collar build? 3, 4, 5 inches? Any experience with this?

Rich

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Longer shanks can also make it a PITA to get kegs in and out. I've got 4" shanks on a 2x6 collar and I have to move stuff around to get a keg to slip in under the shanks. If I had gone a bit short it would have made a world of a difference.

As far as the first pour foam, I tend to purge out the first 2 ounces if the beer has been sitting in the line any longer than a few hours (it picks up the line taste in the standard beverage lines). So the purge foams up, but the actual pour is fine.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:33 AM   #3
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 76

I use 4 inch shanks through my 2 inch (1.5 actual) wood collar and find them to be plenty long. I wish I would have tried 3 inch shanks to see if this would give more clearance for removing a keg. If you barely have room for two kegs along your shortest dimension then I would use 4 inch or less if possible.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 09-08-2011, 04:09 AM   #4
RichBenn
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IffyG View Post
Longer shanks can also make it a PITA to get kegs in and out. I've got 4" shanks on a 2x6 collar and I have to move stuff around to get a keg to slip in under the shanks. If I had gone a bit short it would have made a world of a difference.

As far as the first pour foam, I tend to purge out the first 2 ounces if the beer has been sitting in the line any longer than a few hours (it picks up the line taste in the standard beverage lines). So the purge foams up, but the actual pour is fine.
I'm doing that currently with a mini-fridge setup, but was looking to not get that on the keezer build. Blowing air with a fan helps a little, but I hate wasting beer.

Anyone else with experience in this area?

Old 09-09-2011, 10:26 PM   #5
gnef
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I personally don't mind a foamy first pour, but that is me. To me, it means that the entire device is being more energy efficient, as you aren't using the shank as a heatsink transferring energy.

I use a coffin box attached to the wall of my walk-in, and all the shanks and faucets are at room temperature, so the first pour from any of the faucets is foamy, but it is worth it to me since if I were cooling the coffin box to keep the shanks and faucets cool, it would be costing me that much more in my electricity bill. We all have different priorities though.

How big of a deal is a foamy pour to you?

Walk-In Serving(14): Oatmeal Stout, Hard Cider, Belgian Tripel, Liquid Stupid, Belgian Dark Strong, Red Bull, Rye IPA, Double IPA, Imperial Stout, Irish Red, Scottish 70/-, Belgian Wit, Nut Brown, Traditional Mead
Walk-In Cold Storage(~50): Cysers, Braggot, Melomels, Ciders, Traditional Meads, Persimmon wines, Dry Stout, barleywine, cream ale, sodas, Chocolate stout, milk stout, and others I can't recall.
Fermenters (0): Nothing current.

Quick Reply