Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > What process does everyone use when transfering from Carboy to Keg?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2008, 07:57 PM   #11
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1059 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I have a nifty beer disconnect that has a 3/8" barb on it so after I purge the keg with a little Co2, I run the autosiphon hose to the disconnect and pop the vent on the keg. It fills through the dip tube and under a blanket of co2 that eventually gets pushed out through the vent.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-10-2008, 02:15 PM   #12
MgMt_Home_Brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I have a nifty beer disconnect that has a 3/8" barb on it so after I purge the keg with a little Co2, I run the autosiphon hose to the disconnect and pop the vent on the keg. It fills through the dip tube and under a blanket of co2 that eventually gets pushed out through the vent.

Now that is a really good idea! Im gona have to look into setting something like this up because making sure my siphon hose is all the way at the bottom to start the siphon is a pain in my butt.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:46 PM   #13
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

The bonus there is that you don't have to worry about sanitizing the OUTSIDE of your transfer tubing.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 09-10-2008, 03:46 PM   #14
MgMt_Home_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
The bonus there is that you don't have to worry about sanitizing the OUTSIDE of your transfer tubing.
Absolutly, I love the idea and I am gona tryto set something similar up. Thanks

Old 09-10-2008, 03:53 PM   #15
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There was a guy on here (though I can't remember who) who made a similar type of transfer, but instead of using an auto-siphon, he used a carboy cap and a racking cane, and used co2 to actually push the beer from the carboy to the keg rather than siphon. The beauty of that is that both containers could be at the same level on the ground.

Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Old 09-10-2008, 04:03 PM   #16
JVD_X
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

my conical fermented sits high enough that I just need to hook hose up to the racking port and put the other end into the bottom of the keg (sanitized of course). Then I just pen the port and let it rip. When I get to the top I close the keg up and purge using co2.

- JVD_X

Old 09-11-2008, 12:18 PM   #17
redneckbeagle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Bobby_M, How about a pic of that nifty disconnect?

Cheers,

redneckbeagle

Old 09-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #18
Loweface
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Question...

If I were to hook-up a racking cane and tube to the beer out quick disconnect, and just a few inches of tubing on the gas in disconnect, could you start the transfer with one good suck on the gas in side?

I realise that you would not be able to pre-purge with CO2 but this could be done after...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chortly View Post
...homebrew contains more satisfactrons per serving, so you don't have to drink as much as you would a commercial beer to get to your satisfactron saturation.

Old 09-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #19
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

It's really nothing special. It's a standard beer out disconnect that has a non-removable 3/8" barb on it just like all the 1/4" ones floating around. I got it along with a bunch of kegs at a beverage distributor. I had no idea what I was going to do with it at the time.

I haven't seen one like that anywhere but you could get a flare disconnect and use this FFL fitting: Austin Homebrew Supply

I use 5/16" ID transfer hose anyway.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:29 PM   #20
FireBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
+1

I use the 1/2" AutoSiphon, and the 1/2" tubing fits right over the liquid-out post (with the dip tube and rubber seal on):

Quick Reply