The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > What Posts for Italian 1-handle Ball Lock Kegs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
thelorax121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Bev Carbonation Syst. & What Posts for 1-handle Ball Lock Kegs?

I picked up a "Beverage Pressurization System" from Excelsior Beverages off some guy on craigslist yesterday. I came with some kind of motor and some gauges, as well as two single steel handle ball lock kegs made by the brand Von Offnen from Italy that were hooked to various lines. The problem is, the kegs don't have the posts for the disconnects, so I need to buy replacements. I figured all ball locks would use the same posts, but Northern brewer has a few different styles, so I was wondering if anyone could tell me if these ones would fit:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewin...-a-4-pack.html.

As of now I just pulled the three primary regs off as well as the extra gauge, if anyon has any other ideas on how to use this, let em rip.

Here are the kegs:

And this is the system they came with:
http://www.wateronline.com/product.m...on-System-0001

Last edited by thelorax121; 10-21-2009 at 01:14 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2009, 02:27 AM   #2
marzsit
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

some industrial kegs have tapered pipe threads instead of ball-lock posts, that's possibly what you have... we use kegs like that at work for holding pressurized lubricating oils and solvents.

photos of the equipment would be nice..............

Old 10-21-2009, 01:14 AM   #3
thelorax121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Pics are up, hope they help! Thanks HBT

Old 10-22-2009, 03:36 AM   #4
marzsit
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

very interesting...

the unit on the bottom with the motor on it looks like a carbonator but i'd need a photo of the other side to make an exact identification... i'm guessing the unit was part of a post-mix dispenser of some kind, the kegs were used for syrup (common before bag-in-box systems were developed).

i did a bit of googling and came up with this link: Robinson/Kirshbaum industries they are the builders of Excelsior beverage products. if there is a model number on the unit, you can search their website for technical information.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:41 AM   #5
marzsit
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

fwiw, ball-lock kegs get their name because they have ball-lock posts, pin-lock kegs get their name because they have pin-lock posts....

actually, i think your kegs have flared posts... in one of the photos i can see what looks like the post connected to a hose or metal line...

Old 10-22-2009, 01:31 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Those aren't ball-lock kegs and without knowing the exact threading on the posts, you are unlikely to be able to convert them.

I'd say you have a primary regulator and three secondaries that are usable, but the rest probably isn't.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply