Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > What parts needed for corny rebuilds/operation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
Hikeon3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default What parts needed for corny rebuilds/operation

So I've bottled four batches of extract brew so I'm very much still a newbie. But four times bottling 5-5.5 gallon batches has already tossed me onto the kegging bandwagon. So I caved and decided to use my 300 dollar "stimulus check" to stimulate some economic growth.

Ordered a 4-pack of unrebuilt corny kegs from morebeer.com. I'm assuming they come with many of the necessary pieces for keg operation (the posts fully assembled etc) so I was planning on getting new o-rings, gaskets, and poppits for them. But I don't know what parts I'll need to actually operate the kegs.

I know a CO2 tank is necessary, but then I need a pressure regulator of some sort and lines for gas in and beer out. And fittings for the lines, and a faucet. I don't know exactly what all four unreconditioned kegs are going to need. Can anyone give me a rough listing of parts that I should pick up for rebuilding/operating these kegs?

Thanks much.

(P.S. searched a few times on the topic, but didn't find any extensive listings that a complete n00b like myself would require. I'm not lazy, just very ignorant.)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
Joe C
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

how many of the kegs are you planning on using at a time? that could depend on what you purchase for lines, gauges, etc. Have you looked into rebuild kits for the kegs, as well as kegging kits minus the kegs themselves?

Apfelwin does not play well with others. In fact, Apfelwein runs with scissors and yells obscenities at it's classmates :)
Project Monsterator! Click here for a howto on building a keezer! And how to ruin one!

Support a Brewing Soldier!

Old 06-17-2008, 06:43 PM   #3
Hikeon3
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I hate answering my own questions seconds after posting. Maybe I'm lazier than I thought.

Good call on just looking at complete systems and just subtracting kegs.

Last edited by Hikeon3; 06-17-2008 at 06:45 PM.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

When you get beer line make sure you get about 10' of 3/16" inner diameter per keg. It's so much better to set your keg at one pressure and be able to carbonate to the proper level and serve without switching pressures all the time.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 06-17-2008, 09:33 PM   #5
McSwiggin'
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by conpewter View Post
When you get beer line make sure you get about 10' of 3/16" inner diameter per keg. It's so much better to set your keg at one pressure and be able to carbonate to the proper level and serve without switching pressures all the time.
This is a good point to bring up since having the proper length line is important to balance the system. but be sure to balance it according to your set up. 10' may not be the ideal length.

Quick Reply