Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > What kind of kegs are these?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #11
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by OatmealSnout View Post
Yeah, That $75 scared me, but there are quite a few to choose from on ebay for much cheaper. Some are bidding very low. Guess not a real hot commodity.
ebay... what are they calling them so I can take a look see...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 08:15 PM   #12
OatmealSnout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

just search Hoff-Stevens

Old 07-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #13
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by OatmealSnout View Post
Yeah, That $75 scared me, but there are quite a few to choose from on ebay for much cheaper. Some are bidding very low. Guess not a real hot commodity.
It still looks like you are going to pay as much for coupler (or more) as you would for a cornie.

McEver Distributors will ship you as many kegs as you want, all guaranteed to hold pressure, for a starting price of about $45 shipped. I got two for $91 shipped. You can order a pallet or more if you want and pay about $30 shipped each.

Not yet as rare as it would seem

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 07-13-2012, 09:09 PM   #14
OatmealSnout
Recipes 

I only paid $20 total for all three of these kegs, so if I have to end up paying $50 each for two couplers, I'm still only at $120 total, so $40 per keg including couplers. Hope I can win the couplers cheaper on ebay though. If anyone has any of these for sale, let me know.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #15
tre9er
Recipes 

I wonder if you can get the "pump" style couplers and just modify it to accept CO2? That seems like a cheaper way as those couplers look to be cheaper.

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 07-14-2012, 09:04 AM   #16
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3238 Times on 3139 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Keep looking on e-bay and in the classifieds here. They typically sell for $5-$10 each. Some of them may need new o-rings, which will run another $5-$8 since one is an odd figure 8 shape. I don't see any reason you can't get functional couplers for about the same price as a set of corny QD's. There's a set of 3 on e-bay with a current bid of $7.50. There were recent sales on e-bay for sets of 3 couplers with winning bids of $12.50 and $14.00.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
It still looks like you are going to pay as much for coupler (or more) as you would for a cornie.
Not sure where you're looking, but that's simply not the case. Especially if you factor in the fact that you'd still need to buy a set of QD's for a standard corny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
I wonder if you can get the "pump" style couplers and just modify it to accept CO2? That seems like a cheaper way as those couplers look to be cheaper.
Closed listings on e-bay show the party pumps selling for 2-3 times as much as the standard couplers. And that's before modification.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 07-14-2012, 04:59 PM   #17
OatmealSnout
Recipes 

Yep, I'm high bidder on those now. fingers crossed... don't bid me up please!

Old 07-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #18
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
Keep looking on e-bay and in the classifieds here. They typically sell for $5-$10 each. Some of them may need new o-rings, which will run another $5-$8 since one is an odd figure 8 shape. I don't see any reason you can't get functional couplers for about the same price as a set of corny QD's. There's a set of 3 on e-bay with a current bid of $7.50. There were recent sales on e-bay for sets of 3 couplers with winning bids of $12.50 and $14.00.

Not sure where you're looking, but that's simply not the case. Especially if you factor in the fact that you'd still need to buy a set of QD's for a standard corny.

Closed listings on e-bay show the party pumps selling for 2-3 times as much as the standard couplers. And that's before modification.
Cornies go for about $40. I don't see any of the couplers he's looking at going for that cheap with Buy it Now, PLUS he spent a few bucks on the kegs themselves. QD's are super cheap, comparitively.

about $30 here for party tap hoff-stevens.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Old-...ht_4105wt_1397

I do see some VERY lucky bidders walked away with HS couplers for a few dollars plus shipping. There's also a sea of "didn't sell" closed listings. If you are lucky, yeah, you can get a steal...then again I've never been the guy who got something for nothing on ebay. YMMV.

Quote:

Old 07-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #19
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3238 Times on 3139 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er
I do see some VERY lucky bidders walked away with HS couplers for a few dollars plus shipping. There's also a sea of "didn't sell" closed listings.
Those two statements don't make any sense together. You don't have to be lucky to get them cheap, since there's very little demand for them, which is the same reason there's a bunch of didn't sell listings with very low starting bids and no reserve. How many of the overpriced ones with "buy it now" sold? The fact is that the going rate for used HS couplers is less than a new set of corny QD's, whether you choose to believe it or not.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 07-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #20
MyNameIsPaul
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Would it possibly be cheaper to drill and add ball lock fittings and just buy new lids?

See one melée of unruly people, and you've seen a maul.

Quick Reply