Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > What kind of bottles can we re-use for bottling, I am a Bar manager

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
maierjo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What kind of bottles can we re-use for bottling, I am a Bar manager

I am a bar manager and am looking to save a couple bucks by re-using the bottles from work.
Currently I have my staff saving all the Sam Adams bottles and they have work well for me so far but I need more bottles without paying lots for new ones.
I physically don't have the space for a Kegorator so kegging is out of the question. I know we can not use any twist top bottles and some bottles the lip on top is different so the cap doesn't make a perfect seal.

Without wasting my own brew on bad bottles what brands work best. We carry, Hoegarden, Sam Adams, Stella, Bass, Heineken, Newcastle... Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
Diver165
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

IMHO, Sam Adams has the best bottles by far that I've seen (nice and heavy glass usually darker than most bottles too). Pick up a Sam Adams bottle, ook at the neck and collar around the top of the bottle. Match that to whatever bottle and you'll have what you're looking for. Dos Equis bottles have a shorter "collar" that doesn't bite well with most cappers. Some of the collars are rounded like Hobgobblin beers. Also I don't like the Stella bottles because they feel too flimsy for me. Again, just my opinion but I avoid saving all bottles that are not brown.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Really any crown cap bottle can be used. We recommend folks stay away from clear or green.

Interesting bottles I tend to keep for similar style beers. My hoegaarden clone gos into hoegaarden bottles, my leffe clone goes into leffe blonde bottles.

The biggest factor for re-suing any bottle is easability of getting the labels off. If it doesn't come off in a 24 hour soak of oxyclean in hot water, the bottle is tossed.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-04-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
Diver165
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

BTW...you're a bar manager and you're saving bottles? I would think in a few nights you'd have more bottles then you know what to do with.

I personally emptied 80% of my bottles. I've gotten some from friends as well. But the way I figure it, if you can't drink 2 cases (48 beers) or atleast make a good attempt in the time it takes to brew and ferment a typical 5gal batch you probably need to rethink you're hobby choice.

Old 01-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
Boar Beer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Sam Adams is the best. Visit the recycle center and your good to go. The collecting gets interesting when you move into the 22 oz bottles.

PS no green or clear bottles

I was married for 10 years before my wife knew I drank.
Then one day I made a mistake and came home from work sober

Minus33.com

Old 01-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 933 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Correction, Sam Adams would normally be a fine reuse bottle IF you never plan to enter your beers in BJCP competitions. While many are making exceptions, there are still many that refuse the embossed bottles. If you don't plan to compete, carry on with the Sam.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 01-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #7
maierjo
Recipes 

Thanks everyone, this was a help.
Joe

Old 01-04-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
BrewThruYou
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I don't like Sam Adams because the raised Samuel Adams logos are a no-go for competitions. If I had a choice, I'd go with the Sierra Nevada stubbies. Since they are bottle conditioned, I (maybe foolishly) think they can stand a little more abuse.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #9
Diver165
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
The biggest factor for re-suing any bottle is easability of getting the labels off. If it doesn't come off in a 24 hour soak of oxyclean in hot water, the bottle is tossed.
+1 on that! After a soak in oxyclean free water for 24 it's go or throw(away).

Oh, one other bottle I really like are the Sierra Nevada bottles. I dunno I just like them. The lables come off nice but they leave some glue residue. It gets a bit monotonous scrubbing that off sometimes.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
BrewerinBR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver165 View Post
BTW...you're a bar manager and you're saving bottles? I would think in a few nights you'd have more bottles then you know what to do with.

I personally emptied 80% of my bottles. I've gotten some from friends as well. But the way I figure it, if you can't drink 2 cases (48 beers) or atleast make a good attempt in the time it takes to brew and ferment a typical 5gal batch you probably need to rethink you're hobby choice.
+1
Excellent ...
same with me at least 80% of my 350+ bottles I have personally emptied in the last 12 months, and a lot of them I refilled multiple times...

I seek not a hobby to fill my time; I seek a passion to fill my life!

Basement Brew Room Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/base...-house-247971/

"Shame on the man of cultivated taste who permits refinement to develop into fastidiousness that unfits him for doing the rough work of a workaday world." -Theodore Roosevelt

Quick Reply