Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > What if I don't have an extra fridge?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2006, 12:38 PM   #1
McCall St. Brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default What if I don't have an extra fridge?

This may seem like a weird question. If you're serving soda out of a corny keg, you can simply put ice in your glass. I personally would puke if I had to drink beer on ice, so I'm wondering, if I were to keg my beer in cornies, but don't have an extra fridge, could I put the corny in a bucke of ice water to child it before drinking it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2006, 02:29 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

That's exactly what I do when I'm taking a keg to an outdoor party.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-16-2006, 06:01 PM   #3
jrp3
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Before I got a freezer and converted to a kegerator, I just had my keg & CO2 bottle sitting in the corner of the kitchen. When I wanted a cold beer, I took a frozen mug out of the freezer, poured a beer, and waited a couple of minutes to let it chill. We have the mugs that have liquid in between the walls and you put them in the freezer. The beer would be very cold within about 5 minutes, if you have the patience.

Old 04-17-2006, 12:51 AM   #4
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp3
Before I got a freezer and converted to a kegerator, I just had my keg & CO2 bottle sitting in the corner of the kitchen. When I wanted a cold beer, I took a frozen mug out of the freezer, poured a beer, and waited a couple of minutes to let it chill. We have the mugs that have liquid in between the walls and you put them in the freezer. The beer would be very cold within about 5 minutes, if you have the patience.

That is an excellent idea. If this forum had a rep system I'd have to give you points for that.

Jason

Old 04-17-2006, 01:28 AM   #5
autoferret
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

i use ice water in a bucket method. But i'm working on fixing my fridge so i'm hoping for cold beer from the kegorator.

But the frozen mug idea is brilliant!

Primary: Local Honey Mead;
Secondary: Merlot;
Keg: "Experimental" American Ale; Kinda Nutty Brown Ale;
Bottled: "Oatie the Oatmeal Stout"; NB Saison; "666" by request; NB 115th Dream hopbursted;EdWort's Apfelwein
Up Coming: Imperial Oatmeal Stout; House IPA

Old 04-17-2006, 01:55 AM   #6
Igorstien

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp3
Unless you have my friends who insist on not using a glass and planting there mouth directly under the tap and pulling the handle, al la Barney Gumbell on the Simpsons.

The excuse is that they don't want to dirty a glass.

IGOR

Fermenting: MT
Secondary #1: MT Secondary #2: MT
Conditioning: Nothing Drinking: Store bought
On Deck: Festa Brew Red Ale....As soon as I get my bucket back from storage.

All bottles are Guinness bottles, Plus Five Kegs!!!

Old 04-17-2006, 02:17 AM   #7
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmditter
, if I were to keg my beer in cornies, but don't have an extra fridge, could I put the corny in a bucke of ice water to child it before drinking it?
This will work, but you have to keep in mind, that it takes quite some time for the keg to chill in an ice bath. Another idea, would be building a beer chiller, where you have a copper coil that runs through a small cooler filled with ice water. Then you just dispense your beer through this copper coil and it gets chilled as it flows through.

Kai

Old 04-17-2006, 03:14 AM   #8
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Stainless steel coils is a better choice, though.

They are commonly called a 'jockey box'. With 50-100 feet of iced coils you can pour a couple pitchers in a row and they'll be cold.

I've used them at parties and been able to chill 15 gallons of beer served over 2 days using 20 pounds of ice.

The up side is most of the parts you'd use to build a jockey box can be used for your fridge conversion later. Everything but the cooler and the coils are nessicary. Then, if you choose, you can turn the coils into an immersion cooler for your wort.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Quick Reply