New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > what is a good kegging system

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2006, 09:25 PM   #1
lostnfoam
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default what is a good kegging system

im realy thinking about kegging i just dont know where to start. i found a couple of kits just not to sure wich one is better. im looking to get a good kit with all the good stuff so i dont have to go out and get more stuff. here are some that i was looking at, if you recomend any others let me know... thanks

http://www.undergrounddigital.com/draft/completesystems.htm

http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=18190

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=4879

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2006, 09:56 PM   #2
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts

All three are roughly the same. I'd suggest either a tower or shank instead of the cobra tap and a bigger tank. You're usually better off piecing together your own, but any of the ones you listed would be a nice start if you want an all in one package

Old 12-08-2006, 04:48 AM   #3
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You don't need a bigger tank unless you plan on having a half dozen different homebrews on tap at once. I have a five-pounder with two kegs going and the tank lasted me six months. As rdwj said, you should look into piecing together your own system. Perhaps you could find a gas place that will let you just pay a deposit on a bottle of gas rather than buying one. That alone will save you $$$.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 12-08-2006, 05:28 AM   #4
gnef
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Those prices don't look too bad, but you can definitely piece it together for cheaper, particularly if you find a good deal on ebay or craigslist.

i definitely recommend larger tanks, as well as multiple tanks. the cost per pound to refill goes down drasticallyl as you get to larger tanks, 20 lb tanks are fairly common to find on craigslist, at least where i am.

the reason why i recommend multiple tanks, is that you will inevitably run out of co2 when you need it the most, and having a spare tank or two gives you flexibility for when you want to swap, and also the safety of not running out of co2.

also, as for the co2 tanks listed in the pages you posted, they are new tanks, which you are paying a premium for. you can find used tanks for a fraction of the cost. plus this way, you won't be shocked when they just take your tank and give you another used one... some places fill on site, but here in Austin, most places send off their tanks to get filled, so it may take a week or so to get the tank back filled, and mostly people just do a tank swap.

Quick Reply