Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > What a gift! O2 tanks. Can regulators be used with CO2 when I get new tank

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
Bad Influence
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What a gift! O2 tanks. Can regulators be used with CO2 when I get new tank

OK, so..........

I'm a little familiar with the mechanics here. An O2 tank has reverse threads than a CO2 tank.

I searched here and found pretty much the same answer:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/air-tanks-45513/

However.......

The regulator should still be usable for a CO2 tank (with new coupler), correct???

I'd like to save a few bucks and sell a tank (I'm getting two).

I'm really looking wicked forward to my first batch of fresh yeast and seeing the results of using oxygen (what homebrewer can refuse this experiment when it's totally free!!!!).

Thanx for the answers,

Jonathan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2010, 03:33 PM   #2
Retroviridae
Recipes 

Here's a link that says how regulators work. (http://www.cheresources.com/question...ntrol-319.html)

I have no experience with O2 tanks, but I have used the regulator from a CO2 tank on Argon/Nitrogen tanks. I would guess that as long as both tanks are pressurized within the range of operation of the regulator, you'll be ok. Probably best to call up a gas supply company, or the manufacturer of the regulator and get a real expert's opinion, though.

Random Fact: Human Immunodeficiency Virus particles have approximately the same density of 1.170 wort. I know because I float them on a sucrose gradient in the lab to purify them for research.

Primary: nada

Drinking: Belgian strong golden, Northern Brown, Porter

Old 01-19-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

for the price to convert it, if its even doable, you'd probably be better off selling both O2 tanks and buying a CO2 tank.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 01-19-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
Scimmia
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm not totally sure, but I think the regulator I'm using was originally for O2. I'll take a closer look when I get home. It seems to creep on me a bit, but I don't know if that's because it's an O2 regulator or something else.

O2 tanks usually run much higher pressure than CO2, which is why I suspect the regulator.

Quick Reply