The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > What is the easyest way

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2005, 05:26 AM   #1
jjsscram
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What is the easyest way

What is the easyest way to sanatize your bottles before you bottle?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2005, 12:48 PM   #2
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Since the bottling bucket needs to be sanitized as well, I just fill it up with 5 gallons of iodophor, then start putting bottles into it, dunking them until they are full and they sink. Once the bucket won't hold any more bottles, I start pulling them out, letting the iodophor run out of them back into the bucket, and let the bottles drip dry on my bottling tree. I can do two cases of bottles in about 40 minutes or so.

Old 04-23-2005, 01:48 PM   #3
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsscram
What is the easyest way to sanatize your bottles before you bottle?

Although a no-rinse sanitizing certainly won't hurt, if you thoroughly clean and rinse the bottles with bleach, then run them through a cycle in the dishwasher (without detergent) they will be sanitized. I've found that's the easiest way, considering I don't have a bottle tree.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 04-23-2005, 02:34 PM   #4
DyerNeedOfBeer
Barley Sober

Recipes 

I have no proof of this but I would think that a dishwasher cycle would not get inside the bottle very well. I use the method that bikebryan mentioned (sink them in the bottling bucket of iodophor). I do not have a bottling tree either so to drain my bottles, I then DO use the dishwasher just as a drying rack

Another point to this (although you probly already have your equipment)... I decided to go with 22 oz bottles when I started the hobby. This was a good decision IMHO. Much quicker bottling, much quicker sanitizing and if your going to leave just a bit of beer in the bottom of each bottle when you pour in order to leave any sediment behind, now you lose only about half of what you would if you went w/ 12 oz. bottles. I would highly recommend the 22's for anyone who is still in the decision making process of what equipment they need.

Last edited by DyerNeedOfBeer; 04-23-2005 at 02:39 PM.

Old 04-23-2005, 04:31 PM   #5
jjsscram
Recipes 

I have been using the methed that bikebryan described, but i am use bleach instead. This is very time consuming and I was looking to see if any one had a quicker way.

found this what do you think?

http://www.morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=15682

Old 04-23-2005, 05:24 PM   #6
Dude
Will work for beer

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
I have been using the methed that bikebryan described, but i am use bleach instead. This is very time consuming and I was looking to see if any one had a quicker way.

One of the guys on this forum has that, rightwing I think....he could probably tell you how good it wqorks or not....I think it looks cool but my dishwasher methjod works very well for the very few bottles I do actually need.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 04-23-2005, 10:07 PM   #7
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORRELSE
One of the guys on this forum has that, rightwing I think....he could probably tell you how good it wqorks or not....I think it looks cool but my dishwasher methjod works very well for the very few bottles I do actually need.
The problem with dishwashers and beer bottles is that you don't usually get a good dose of water up into the bottles. The narrow neck prevents a good stream of water from coating the entire inside of the bottle.

Old 04-23-2005, 10:08 PM   #8
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:

It would be much less time consuming if you chose a no-rinse sanitizer, such as iodophor or StarSan, instead of bleach. You'd save a lot of time since you wouldn't be rinsing and rinsing each bottle.

Old 04-24-2005, 04:46 AM   #9
George
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I do a combination of all these methods when I bottle, which is very rare thankfully. Because I rarely bottle, all sorts of crap ends up in the bottles. I soak in bleach, give a single cold water rinse, run them through the sanitzing cycle of the dishwasher, soak in iodine.
When I got started, I used to soak in bleach then rinse until I could not detect chlorine odor anymore. After a while I started noticing that I couldn't smell anything.
If your bottles are not crud infestations like mine, I'd do the bottling bucket soak technique. It's pretty good.
That sanitizing sprayer is kind of iffy to me, I thought iodophor required something like 5 min of contact time. That gadget clearly won't give you that. Besides, the 15 bucks they're asking is about what 10 gal of beer costs me.
Save your money. Use what you've got.

On tap: Small-Dry Hopped w/cascade
Small -no dry hops
Red
Rye
Secondary:More red and rye
Primary: Brown (11 years at this and this is my 1st)

Old 04-24-2005, 01:09 PM   #10
bikebryan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Iodophor only needs maybe two minutes of contact time, if you mix it properly. You'll get that as you let it drip out of the bottle if you hang it on a bottle tree.

Quick Reply