HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > What does force carbonate mean?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 03:49 AM   #1
TheOrphan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What does force carbonate mean?

im looking into getting a 5 gal. keg that uses Co2 cartridges to carbinate the keg. So i was reading the description and noticed that it says " cannot be used to force carbonate." Does that mean that with the Co2 cartridges it won't carbonate the beer? So whats the purpose of the Co2 cartrdges? heres the amazon link:http://www.amazon.com/KegWorks-Portable-Homebrew-Dispensing-Kit/dp/B001CE61OC/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1343274344&sr=8-32&keywords=5+gal+keg

Whats the use of getting sober, when your gonna get drunk again. "Louis Jordan"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 03:52 AM   #2
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Says it right in the item description... "Portable Homebrew Dispensing Kit" The small CO2 cartridges will refill the headspace, but not provide enough pressure to carbonate your brew. For that, you need a more proper setup.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Old 07-26-2012, 03:57 AM   #3
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 15

what it means is that when you keg, most people carbonate their beer by keeping it under co2 pressure. eventually, usually 1-2 weeks depending on a lot of factors, it's fully carbonated from the flat beer you started with. those co2 cartridges are for, once it's carbed, keeping it fully carbed while serving, since the co2 level drops as you serve it. those cartridges replace what is lost during serving

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead

Kegged:

Fermenting: 2x Oatmeal Stout, Bravo APA, Concord Wine

Old 07-26-2012, 04:16 AM   #4
TheOrphan
Recipes 

ok thanks for the info. i guess i kinda figured but i was still a little confused on what it meant. thanks for clarifying

Whats the use of getting sober, when your gonna get drunk again. "Louis Jordan"

Old 07-26-2012, 04:20 AM   #5
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 266

There are various 'kits' out there for carbonating, and serving, homebrew from kegs. Keg Connection has several options, to meet your budget ideas and needs. I've found that it doesn't pay to go cheap in these things. Get a Taprite regulator, and then a 5# CO2 tank to start. Get a manifold if you plan on feeding the same pressure to more than one keg. If you want more than one carbonation level, then get a dual body regulator from the start (plan ahead). Also get a spare CO2 tank ASAP so that when you run out with the one connected, you can simply swap and then get the empty one filled at a more relaxed pace.

There's more to it, but those are the basics, IMO.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

...the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

Quick Reply