Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > What do you guys prefer for bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2008, 04:22 AM   #1
Righlander
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default What do you guys prefer for bottles?

Ok, First off thank god for this website for all the advice i've gotten already. now, does it make a difference if i use green bottles as opposed to brown? I've heard that the green bottles skunk it out a little. is this true? also i am currently using a bottle caper and bottle caps as opposed to the swivel tops or growlers or whatever they're called. what do you guys prefer and why? and finally, what size do you prefer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2008, 04:33 AM   #2
Jeffro
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My beers are mostly bottled in used Deschutes brewery bottles because... Well... I like Deschutes beer so I have ALOT of empty Deschutes bottles. I have some New Belgium bottles and some Sam Adams.... And some that I don't know what the heck they are... They're just bottles.

FWIW... I never recycled anything in my life until I started brewing beer, and now I only recylce re-cappable bottles.

I look at homebrewing as my way to save the planet.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:33 AM   #3
dibby33

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

brown cuts out more light and reduces skunking. just store green bottles in the dark and you will have no problem.

pryoff bottles (as opposed to twist tops) are better but having said that I use both (with a bench capper) with no problems.

Size depends on the beer. strong beer = smaller bottles. bigger bottles make the jobs quicker though.

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things

Old 04-21-2008, 04:35 AM   #4
Brett0424
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes green bottles are more likely to let your beer get skunked because they don't block as many of the harmful light waves as brown bottles do. Having a capper lets you save any bottles you want I'd just stick with that.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:35 AM   #5
Tankard
Recipes 

I prefer the standard brown, 12 ounce bottles. I wouldn't go for the green or clear bottles because they do not protect against UV which can skunk the beer. I believe it skunks the beer because it reacts with the hop particles/sediment and causes off flavors to occur.

I use regular bottle caps as well and I haven't had any serious issues.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:36 AM   #6
bru-er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibby33
Size depends on the beer. strong beer = smaller bottles. bigger bottles make the jobs quicker though.

Why does strong beer = smaller bottles?

Old 04-21-2008, 04:38 AM   #7
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

22 oz browns. Bottling goes sooo much quicker. Course I never really bottle anymore now that my keezer is up and running.....

Corrupt Brewers

Old 04-21-2008, 04:40 AM   #8
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

IMO the best Bottles are Sam Adams, But I have a wide arrangement of Moosehead Bells and other pop offs. Plus I have 4 cases that I bought from the LHBS when I first started.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 04-21-2008, 05:04 AM   #9
idkid
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bru-er
I would imagine its because if the beer is stronger, you don't have to drink as much to get the same alcohol effect. But that's just someone's preference and my opinion on why that might be why they use them.

I use everything but twistoffs. I would use them if I had the proper capper. I just have one of the cappers that looks like it has wings. Can't remember the name now but costs about 12 dollars. I especially like grolsch style bottles. They are just easy to use and easy to clean I think. Also, I've never heard anyone using this type of bottle, but I found some kind of French carbonated fruity-beverage (non-alcoholic) in really tall grolsch style bottles. They are clear but work perfectly if you keep them out of light. I love them.

Tiocfaidh Ar La

"I kissed the bottle, I shoulda been kissin' you"-jawbreaker

Old 04-21-2008, 05:46 AM   #10
devaspawn
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bru-er
That doesn't make sense at all to me. If you beer is ? ABV it will be the same in a 12 oz bottle as it would be in a 22 oz bottle assuming, of course, that you use the same proportional amount of priming solution for each size bottle. Even if you didn't, the difference would be so slight that you wouldn't notice. ABV is exactly that: Alcohol by volume. The size container you use wouldn't matter in the least.

It could be a psychological thing, I suppose. If you have a large bottle in hand you may think that you need to drink it slower thus limiting it's effect by giving you liver a longer period to process it...

Prim 1: Ogre's House Red Ale
Prim 2: Apfelwein

Quick Reply