*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > What current refrig to get for conversion?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2007, 12:25 AM   #1
jay29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default What current refrig to get for conversion?

I would like to know what model/CURRENT small fridge I can use for a kegerator DIY conversion. It will be used for ONE maybe TWO Cornys MAX. I refuse to pay $500.00 dollars plus for some of these kegerators out there. I will do it myself. Please provide websites that might show the conversion. Thanks Jay.

Kegged: MT
Drinking on tap: Jamil's Brown Porter, Jamil's English IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2007, 03:13 AM   #3
HarvInSTL

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

While I understand that you don't want to spend $500, converting a Sanyo 4912 (if you go all out) will run you $4-500 anyway.

4912-$200 plus tax
2 tap tower-$100 plus shipping
2 Forward Sealing faucets-$75 plus shipping
2 shanks-$25
5lb CO2 tank-$75

Now if you want to save money your best bet is to drop the tower, faucets & shanks and use cobra taps. But then you really can't compare it to one of those $500 tap kegerators now can ya.

Don't get me wrong, the $475 setup above uses higher quality equipment that the $500 pre built kegerators you see at Best Buy, Sams Club,etc.

Secondary: 9/9/9/-My version, Carbernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Raspberry Melomel

On deck: Tripel, 5 day IPA Squared, White Russian Imperial Stout

Live in Saint Louis, MO? Then check out www.stlbrews.org and www.garagebrewers.com

Old 10-19-2007, 04:19 AM   #4
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Why not go used? Mine cost $85 bucks. She ain't a Hollywood starlet, but she's got more experience anyways.

Corrupt Brewers

Old 10-19-2007, 04:39 AM   #5
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarvInSTL
While I understand that you don't want to spend $500, converting a Sanyo 4912 (if you go all out) will run you $4-500 anyway.

4912-$200 plus tax
2 tap tower-$100 plus shipping
2 Forward Sealing faucets-$75 plus shipping
2 shanks-$25
5lb CO2 tank-$75
If one does their research and is patient, it can be done for a lot less. The 4912 regularly goes on sale for around $170, and used ones are frequently listed on Craig's List. I paid $100 for my like new 4911 and see others listed for even less. My tower was $88 with shipping on eBay, and it included shanks, lines and two faucets. My two Shirrons were $78 shipped, and I recouped $25 by selling the other faucets. I already had a tank and regulator, but I recently picked up another set at a local garage sale for a mere $20.

Patient builders can easily get it done for under $300, especially if they aren't overly picky about the faucets.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:02 AM   #6
HarvInSTL

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars
If one does their research and is patient, it can be done for a lot less. The 4912 regularly goes on sale for around $170, and used ones are frequently listed on Craig's List. I paid $100 for my like new 4911 and see others listed for even less. My tower was $88 with shipping on eBay, and it included shanks, lines and two faucets. My two Shirrons were $78 shipped, and I recouped $25 by selling the other faucets. I already had a tank and regulator, but I recently picked up another set at a local garage sale for a mere $20.

Patient builders can easily get it done for under $300, especially if they aren't overly picky about the faucets.
I agree with that to a point. I haven't seen the 4912 on sale for at least two months, (which was when I bought mine) and shortly after that it went from its regular price of $190 to the $209 that it is at now.

Finding something frequently on Craigslist all depends on where you live.

I was trying to compare apples to apples. (ie the brand new $500 kegerator that he/she doesn't want to purchase to a brand new kegerator that he/she would build)

If you wait long enough I'm sure you could build a used kegerator for $50.

Live in Saint Louis, MO? Then check out www.stlbrews.org and www.garagebrewers.com

Old 10-19-2007, 05:32 AM   #7
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew

Recipes 

Quote:
Finding something frequently on Craigslist all depends on where you live.
Seek and ye shall find. Let's see, the OP is in upstate NY...here's one in Buffalo, for $40.

Mini Fridge - Perfect for Dorm, Kitchen Back Up or Backyard! - $40

If there is a university near by, students unload these things like crazy when a term ends and they move out of their dorms.

Let's not forget, patience is one of the important personality traits for homebrewers.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:54 AM   #8
HarvInSTL

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindLemonLars
Seek and ye shall find. Let's see, the OP is in upstate NY...here's one in Buffalo, for $40.

Mini Fridge - Perfect for Dorm, Kitchen Back Up or Backyard! - $40

If there is a university near by, students unload these things like crazy when a term ends and they move out of their dorms.

Let's not forget, patience is one of the important personality traits for homebrewers.
Don't take this the wrong way but I hate you.

I can hardly ever find good deals here in Saint Louis on Craigslist. Well except for the $5 5gal cornys and a $40 10gal corny, and the $30 6.5gal conical. But for the most part the pickin's are slim.

Last edited by HarvInSTL; 10-19-2007 at 06:00 AM.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:16 AM   #9
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew

Recipes 

Quote:
Don't take this the wrong way but I hate you.

I can hardly ever find good deals here in Saint Louis on Craigslist. Well except for the $5 5gal cornys and a $40 10gal corny, and the $30 6.5gal conical. But for the most part the pickin's are slim.
No sweat, a little friendly hatred is healthy. Wow, wish I could find a conical for $30.

Here's the $80 tower I bought...however, it doesn't look like he's selling them anymore. It might be worth contacting him, to see if he can get more. The faucets were decent too, but I had already bought Ventmatics. (The price on those has gone down!) Keep your eyes open though, the deals do show up!

Dual Tower w/faucets

Ventmatic Faucets $28.50

Quick Reply