Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Weird thing happened today. Low voltage current unning through CO2 tank.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
BoxofRain
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Weird thing happened today. Low voltage current unning through CO2 tank.

Went to go adjust the pressure on my tank and felt a very low voltage current. The current was felt on the tank and the regulator. No current on the sides of the keezer, the kegs or the taps. Went upstairs to do a internet search to see if this has happened to anyone else. Went back down a few minutes later to check back on it and the current was gone. The tank sits on the hump inside my keezer. Any ideas?

Kegged: Bourbon Barrel Porter
Primary 1: Cascadian Dark Ale
Primary 2: Stormchaser Pale Ale
On Deck:, ???

FIXED GRIP BREWERY
We'll knock your legs right out from under you...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2011, 08:55 PM   #2
beninan
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

uhhh, is there anything electronic connected to the system? Like a temperature probe in a keg that's faulty and possibly back-feeding current through the CO2 system?
Drinking too much?
Is there any moisture inside the refrigerator/freezer that may be carrying a voltage? Maybe you should take a volt meter and check for any A/C or D/C voltage from the regulator to ground?

"Stop giving me credit for those stupid quotes! For that last time it wasn't me! STFU NOOB!" <-- Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

You sure it wasn't just a vibration from the fridge motor?

Old 04-16-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
BoxofRain
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninan View Post
uhhh, is there anything electronic connected to the system? Like a temperature probe in a keg that's faulty and possibly back-feeding current through the CO2 system?
Drinking too much?
LOL, It was my first drink. The only thing I can think of was that I had a damp sweater hanging on the lid of the keezer to dry. Part of it could have been over my Johnson control....even more so when I opened the lid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You sure it wasn't just a vibration from the fridge motor?
No...it was a low voltage electric current. Flippin Weird, I tell ya.

FIXED GRIP BREWERY

Old 04-16-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

That is weird. Could it have been a static electricity thing? Admittedly, I know nothing about electricity.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:24 PM   #6
beninan
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I guess first thing would be to remove the wet sweater. Second, if you've got one, I would still check for voltage through the system. Maybe borrow a volt meter from someone or buy a cheap one from a hardware/electronics store if you don't have one. Sometimes voltage can and can not be felt through your fingers. I have found that you may not feel current though your finger tips at times, but when you brush your elbow or other sensitive skin across it, you might get a tingle.

"Stop giving me credit for those stupid quotes! For that last time it wasn't me! STFU NOOB!" <-- Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-16-2011, 09:28 PM   #7
BoxofRain
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninan View Post
I guess first thing would be to remove the wet sweater. Second, if you've got one, I would still check for voltage through the system. Maybe borrow a volt meter from someone or buy a cheap one from a hardware/electronics store if you don't have one. Sometimes voltage can and can not be felt through your fingers. I have found that you may not feel current though your finger tips at times, but when you brush your elbow or other sensitive skin across it, you might get a tingle.
Good idea... I'll hit it with my multimeter.

FIXED GRIP BREWERY

Old 04-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

What exactly is under the hump in there? Isn't it the compressor motor itself? That's why it's in a hump? It's probably not very shielded and the weight of the bottle prolly presses down on the thin metal, making contact with the motor and causing some voltage to go through it. Heck even without the metal pressing down on it, it wouldn't be too surprising to think that if there's a motor turning in there, you're right in the footprint of the electro magnetic field of the motor, so I wouldn't be surprised to feel something. In fact next time if you notice it, carefully lift your bottle straight up and see if you feel the current go away as you lift it out of there.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-16-2011, 09:44 PM   #9
BoxofRain
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
In fact next time if you notice it, carefully lift your bottle straight up and see if you feel the current go away as you lift it out of there.
That's a really good idea. Thanks, I'll do that. I did forget to mention that the keezer wasn't running when this happened.

So I hit it with my multimeter probe and touched the other probe to complete the circuit and sure enough the needle moves a tiny bit. Funny thing is the needle moves more when I touch the tap than when I touch the bottle.

FIXED GRIP BREWERY

Old 04-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxofRain View Post
That's a really good idea. Thanks, I'll do that. I did forget to mention that the keezer wasn't running when this happened.

So I hit it with my multimeter probe and touched the other probe to complete the circuit and sure enough the needle moves a tiny bit. Funny thing is the needle moves more when I touch the tap than when I touch the bottle.
I'm no electrician, but even a motor that is off has juice running through it, right?

Got a rubber mat of any type, like a floor mat for a car? You could stick it on the hump and put the bottle on top of that too, it should shield it better.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply