Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Weird stuff stuck to the sides of my bottles

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012, 03:50 AM   #1
Bisco_Ben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Default Weird stuff stuck to the sides of my bottles

Hey guys. So lately I have noticed that there is a film that sticks to the sides of my bottles. This is not the white speckled film that people keep mentioning floating in their bottles, this is thick and can eventually peel off into a transparent sea-weed looking flake that just floats in the beer and eventually makes its way into the glass, once poured. I have also noticed that yeast has a tendency to stick to the sides of the bottles as they condition and then chilled. I toss these bottles once discovered because the film makes the beer look very unappealing and is impossible to remove the layer of film from the inside of the bottle once emptied. Have any of you noticed this issue and been forced to deal with such a situation? This only happens with maybe 10 bottles max in a 60 bottle batch and doesn't really effect the flavor from my judgements so far. Really just baffled as to what this ridiculous layer of nasty sludgy film is that keeps attaching itself to my bottles and shying my friends away from trying any more of my brews!

***On a side note, I do give my bottles the oxy-clean soak when removing the commercial labels, and then either sanitize cycle in the dishwasher or hand-sanitize with 1-step cleaner solution when about to bottle.****

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
Bisco_Ben
Recipes 

So no one has noticed a similar film sticking to the inside of their bottles? I really want to understand what I have done that creates this mess so I know how to prevent it from ever happening again... Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Old 02-21-2012, 11:36 PM   #3
Bithead
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Maybe if you posted pics? Sounds like an infection to me.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:39 PM   #4
Bisco_Ben
Recipes 

Not an infection im guessing because the beer seems hardly effected in terms of taste and aroma when compared to the rest of the batch. I will try and post a picture but I only have my phone as a camera and it will most likely be hard to see anyway. Guess I am going to have to tackle this one on my own...

Old 09-13-2012, 12:43 AM   #5
bn218
Recipes 

Hey Bisco. If your still out there, take a look at the post I just made in the bottling and kegging section. I've had similar experiences but with whole batches of bottles with the film you describe. Usually when I use certain yeasts. I've posted a picture, so check it out and see if its similar to your bottles.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:33 AM   #6
Bisco_Ben
Recipes 

Hey bn218, I would say that based on your picture we seem to be experiencing the same thing with our bottles/carboys. Honestly, since I have started kegging primarily, I have not noticed any film at all in my glasses which makes me assume it isnt as much an issue when kegging. However, I am about to bottle a few batches that I wish to age over the next few months for fall/winter drinking and I am curious to see if I get the same film again. All in all, this doesnt seem to effect flavor at all, but a year ago my bottles were getting to the point that this film would like break off the sides and hang in suspension and look like sea-weed floating in my beers. Looked VERY weird but all in all the flavor was unaffected. And like you said if you twist the bottle it seems to just float to the bottom like the rest of the yeast and chill out. I would definitely like some insight as to why this happens and how to avoid it/properly clean out and treat my bottles.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:42 AM   #7
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisco_Ben View Post

***On a side note, I do give my bottles the oxy-clean soak when removing the commercial labels, and then either sanitize cycle in the dishwasher or hand-sanitize with 1-step cleaner solution when about to bottle.****
yeah, bake that oxyclean on then ad a layer of 1-step to the mix.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #8
Bisco_Ben
Recipes 

Well since I started this thread, I swithed over to starsan for sanitizing. I still use oxy to remove labels however. What should I do then? Soak in pbw after the oxy?

Old 09-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #9
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisco_Ben View Post
Well since I started this thread, I swithed over to starsan for sanitizing. I still use oxy to remove labels however. What should I do then? Soak in pbw after the oxy?
stop using the dishwasher for bottles.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:21 PM   #10
Bisco_Ben
Recipes 

as stated in my previous post that you just quoted, I have switched over to starsan for sanitizing. havent used the dishwaser in over a year. I honestly havent noticed this with my most recently bottled batches so maybe using starsan solved the problem. I just dont see how it could be the oxi-clean considering the fact that a lot of people use it to take labels off but dont have this issue.

Quick Reply