Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Weird poor from kegerator

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 03:27 AM   #1
rostato
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I really hope this hasn't been answered or asked before because I've searched everywhere.

I have a new haier kegerator and was having foam issues. So after reading a ton, I replaced my 5' of 5/16 beer line for 10' of 3/16 line, and built a nice fan tower cooler.

The weird thing is, now when I go to poor a beer (sculpin IPA) I'll get beer for about 2 seconds, then foam for a second, then beer again for the rest of the poor. The end result is 50/50 beer and foam with good carbonation...IMO

I'm wondering if its because of how the beer lines are routed out of the keg to the bottom and back up the tower?

Any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 03:35 AM   #2
MizooBrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rostato View Post
I'm wondering if its because of how the beer lines are routed out of the keg to the bottom and back up the tower?
Are you saying that your beer lines are running from your keg, to the outside of your fridge, and then back in, up to your tower? If so, that could cause the problems you're speaking of, but I'm not sure that's what you're saying.

If your lines are contained entirely within the fridge, then

Old 09-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 393 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 599

Try coiling the lines and using a quick tie or something to keep them looped. Set them on top of the keg. Letting the beer lines sag to the bottom of your fridge may be allowing some CO2 bubbles to congregate at the bottom of the loop. I remember reading that somewhere, so I've always done the coil thing with no issues. Worth a try....

Old 09-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
rostato
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy71
Try coiling the lines and using a quick tie or something to keep them looped. Set them on top of the keg. Letting the beer lines sag to the bottom of your fridge may be allowing some CO2 bubbles to congregate at the bottom of the loop. I remember reading that somewhere, so I've always done the coil thing with no issues. Worth a try....
I'll give that w whirl.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #5
PA49erFan21
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 14

You are just getting CO2 in your beer line probably due to pressue issues. This is issue it pretty normal though. I could be wrong but 10' of line sounds like it is way overkill though. I'd adjust the pressure after coiling the beer line and laying it flat either on top of the keg or somewhere above the keg.

Kegged:
On Tap: AHS Honey Hibiscus Wit
On Tap: AHS Lawnower Ale
On Tap: St. Boniface Black Current Stout
On Tap: AHS Viking IPA

On Wish List:

Old 09-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #6
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Co2 is coming out of solution in the line. Ususally that means that either the keg is overcarbed or you are pouring with not enough pressure. What is the fridge temp and what is the regulator pressure set to?

Old 09-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 199 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA49erFan21
You are just getting CO2 in your beer line probably due to pressue issues. This is issue it pretty normal though. I could be wrong but 10' of line sounds like it is way overkill though. I'd adjust the pressure after coiling the beer line and laying it flat either on top of the keg or somewhere above the keg.
I'm in the camp that 10' for your purposes is overkill, despite the myriad of folks who will adamantly disagree. I've had similar issues tht resolved after cutting 4' of tubing off. I'd stick with 5-6' of 3/16" line. I never over/under carb, over foam, or any other complaints.

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

|BRULOSOPHY|

Old 09-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #8
rostato
Recipes 

Hmm. The temp changes from 38ish to 41ish ( crappy temp controller). Pressure is set to 10 psi.

I purposefully got 10' of beer line so I could cut off excess if need be.

Regardless, it's WAY better than the 5' of 5/16 that came with the kegorater.

I tried one of the calculators on here, and I have no clue what it's asking for or what it's suggesting. I must be retarded or something because it makes no sense to me.

I fixed the line on top of the keg this morning before work and will poor a beer shortly. I'll report back.

I do see a few bubbles in the beer line too, but no big pockets of co2

Old 09-24-2012, 11:17 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Since it's a commercial keg, I'm thinking it's just carbed at a higher volume than your 10 psi is set at. That means some of the co2 will come out of solution as it tries to equalize. If it's well carbonated, but the pour kind of sucks, I'd be inclined to see if I could live with it. If it's losing some carbonation, I'd turn it up to 12 psi (which is what my kegerator is set at) and see if that solves it.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:24 PM   #10
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Also, if you pour a second beer immediately after the first one, does that one have less foam? If so, it could be that your tower cooler does not cool quite enough and your first pour has some warmer beer from the lines.

Quick Reply