New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Weird carbonation discrepancy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
smizak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default Weird carbonation discrepancy

Hello guys,

I recently brewed a moderately high gravity porter (1.072) and it finished out around 1.019. I bottled it after three weeks in primary @ 68F , and as per my custom, I opened a bottle to check the carbonation after a week(usually to make sure I'm not making bottle bombs).

I set the last three I bottled aside, so I picked one of those. The last bit of the bottle bucket was a little chunky by the time I bottled those, so they were a good candidate in my eyes to sacrifice for carb check. Cracked one, giant hiss, beer shooting six inches out of the bottle.

Next one, same deal.

The last third, even worse, the whole bottle emptied out by itself in the sink.

So naturally I panic, saying to myself, "Idiot!!! It wasn't done fermenting!!!" So I randomly pick one of the beers out of the rest of the batch. No problem at all, exactly where I'd expect after one week, tasted great. I pick another, no problem same deal. Then another, no gusher.

So I'm kinda stumped. Did any of you guys experience gusher problems with the last couple of bottles from the bucket? I'm thinking of going through them, opening them up one at a time, if no gush, then quickly recapping.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2008, 03:13 PM   #2
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

exactly how do you mix the sugar into the beer when bottling?

my bottling bucket is never 'chunky' in the bottom. to me it sounds like you had a LOT more priming sugar in those 3 bottles than the rest of the batch.

always boil a cup of water, mix sugar in that, then pour into bottling bucket, and rack your beer onto it.
you can optionally stir the bucket very gently, every 12 bottles filled. most find this last bit unnecessary, but I do it anyway.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 02-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2669 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 3465

Not yet...but my stout was under carbonated, at least the test bottles I grabbed...and they were from the last gallon of my bucket as well...So I've been wondering about discrepencies in the bottling bucket mixture myself.

I know that midway through, my siphon hose floated to the top. Yesterday night when bottling I tried something different and took a couple of binder clips, sanitized them and attached them to the end of my hose to weight it down....

I know we have to be careful of oxidation, but I'm wondering if a quick stir to insure a good mixture of beer and boiled priming solution wouldn't be a smart thing.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-09-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
loopmd

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

When I first started brewing, I had problems with inconsistent carbonation between bottles. I did as the directions said, boil some sugar and water or whatever you are using and then put it in the bottling bucket and add the finished beer. My method that I use now has made a change in inconsistent bottles. I add a little of the priming solution at a time.....siphon into my bottling bucket about 1/4 of my batch...add about 1/4 of my priming solution...keep filling up to about 1/2 way on my bucket...add another 1/4 of my priming solution and then again at 3/4's and then when it's full. It might not be foolproof, but it works very well for me.

Loop

Old 02-09-2008, 03:36 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2669 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 3465

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopmd
When I first started brewing, I had problems with inconsistent carbonation between bottles. I did as the directions said, boil some sugar and water or whatever you are using and then put it in the bottling bucket and add the finished beer. My method that I use now has made a change in inconsistent bottles. I add a little of the priming solution at a time.....siphon into my bottling bucket about 1/4 of my batch...add about 1/4 of my priming solution...keep filling up to about 1/2 way on my bucket...add another 1/4 of my priming solution and then again at 3/4's and then when it's full. It might not be foolproof, but it works very well for me.

Loop
I thought about doing that last night. I'll try it next time. Thanks.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #6
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I boiled my priming sugar with a cup of water, poured into the bucket, and racked the beer into the bucket with the hose coiled, so the beer sort of spiraled as it flowed in. I didn't stir it, and I'm starting to think that some priming solution was stuck on the bottom, so when I tipped my bucket to get those last couple bottles, a lot of sugar went into them. I am having trouble believing THAT much went in, but it seems the most probable cause.

By chunky, I mean a little trub from the fermenter.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:16 PM   #7
svraines
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default gushers

Sometimes you can get a little bit more crud (bits of hops, etc) in the last few bottles you fill. This provides lots of nucleation sites for the carbonation, so it all escapes at once. Also, do you chill down your bottles first? Carbonation is different at room temp than fridge temps, the bottle is under greater pressure the warmer it is.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:24 PM   #8
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by svraines
Sometimes you can get a little bit more crud (bits of hops, etc) in the last few bottles you fill. This provides lots of nucleation sites for the carbonation, so it all escapes at once.
I've noticed this as well. Bottles with a lot of sediment will sometimes foam more than bottles with less sediment.

BTW, welcome to HBT, svraines.

Primary/Secondary: #105 APA, #106 American Wheat

Kegged: #102 Brown, #103 Red, #104 ESB

Planned: IPA, Northern English Brown

Quick Reply