Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Weird Ball Lock Leak

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2007, 07:25 PM   #1
Johnny5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Weird Ball Lock Leak

Howdy,

So, I broke my cornies out of storage after two years, replaced the lines, poppets, etc. Last time I kegged, everything worked like a charm, however, I'm getting a weird leak out of both the IN and Out ball locks upon reassemble and I can't seem to figure it out.

The lid and poppets all seem to be air tight when assembled, but when I go to connect C02 to the keg, I get a whole bunch of C02 escaping from where the ball lock connects to the poppet -- like it's slipping out from inside the connection and pouring out from underneath the ball lock. Also, when I attach the ball lock, but then pull up on the slip-on lock, it seems to stop leaking, but as soon as I slip it back down to lock into place, the air flows like crazy.

For the life of me, I can't figure it out. I'm pretty darn sure I re-assembled the ball lock properly after cleaning and I even tried another ball lock. Same issue. I've also tried some lube, but it's a pretty strong leak, so I think it's something else. The only thing I can think of is it's a problem with the poppets as the lines are connected, but they're pretty straightforward in their connection.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Thanks!

John

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2007, 09:00 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 967 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Did you put all the Orings back on? Sounds like one of them is either torn or missing. Poppets would only be consider "leaking" when the disconnects are off the keg. Once the disconnects go on, the poppet is supposed to open or "leak".

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 08-12-2007, 09:03 PM   #3
Thalon

Recipes 

Yeah I'd say it's the O rings too. I had a leaky O ring on the gas end but it was so faint I could hardly hear it. I kept thinking I had it tightened down well enough. I went through two 5# CO2 tanks in about 2 weeks. Finally replaced the O ring and it's been a couple months with still near-full pressure on the tank. Gal derng 50 cent fix cost me ~$40 in CO2.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:20 PM   #4
IBENAK
Recipes 

Could possibly be a leak on the other side of the gas disconnect? Take a spray bottle with soapy water and spray all of your fittings with it, any where there are bubbles you have a leak. Hope this helps.

Nick

On Tap: Ed's Apflewein, Root Beer, Cream Soda, Double chocolate stout, Barley Wine, Vanilla Cream Ale, Pale Ale, Lemon Wheat, Golden Ale
Primary: W' 07 clone x2, Raspberry wheat
Secondary: Pale Ale, Golden Ale x2, IIPA
Keg Conditioning:
On Deck: Kolsch, Vanilla Cream,

Old 08-13-2007, 12:03 AM   #5
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Make sure you put the proper posts on the gas in and beer out tubes. It is easy to mix them up once you take them off.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:43 PM   #6
Johnny5
Recipes 

Yeah, you guys were right. All my kegging stuff was a b$tch to clean out properly and by the time I got the very end and connected the ball locks, I was shot and totally spaced off putting new o-rings back on the poppets. I felt like a fool when I saw them sitting in the bag from the brew store.

But it works like a charm now and I appreciate all your input.

Cheers!

John

Quick Reply