The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Wedding Brew - keg or bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #11
Squeek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I had to bottle 230 bottles of beer for my wedding. We actually bottled 25ish gallons total. Took about 2.3-3 hours to bottle and label it. I used a Beer gun and had no sediment. Either option sounds good and if you build a JB you'll have that for future use.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #12
shoreman
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Thanks everyone - why is everyone concerned about the day of? I'm planning on having my 5lb co2 tank there - kegs pressured then serving at 5 psi or whatever - I've been kegging homebrew for a while and usually have no probs

Small Bottle Homebrew http://www.smallbottlehomebrew.com

Old 01-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #13
gromitdj
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you have your mind set on owning vs. renting I would look at micromatic or morebeer. You can get it complete or piece it together from either place. Get ready for some sticker shock, those stainless coils aren't cheap.

Donnie

Old 02-14-2013, 01:38 AM   #14
gradoa
Recipes 

So I've been researching jockey boxes and I have a couple questions:

1. 5/16" or 3/8" coils? (I think 5/16 is the better for cooling, but 3/8" =less CO2)
  2. 50ft coils or 70ft coils?
  3. Best way to prevent foamy pours? (Ice the kegs, higher pressure,etc.)
  4. Best place to buy the coils? (NYbrewsupply seems good)

Thanks in advance for any response.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:49 AM   #15
Evan_L
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 60

+1 for bottling so you don't have to sweat it during the wedding. Also, if there's leftovers with nice labels, they would make nice take-homes for guests. Congrats on getting married!

Old 02-14-2013, 03:06 AM   #16
gradoa
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_L View Post
+1 for bottling so you don't have to sweat it during the wedding. Also, if there's leftovers with nice labels, they would make nice take-homes for guests. Congrats on getting married!
Thanks! I thought about bottles, but it sounds like so much work! Also, I am much more familiar with kegging. So I feel more confident that I can dial in the desired CO2 level with kegs.

With that said, I may play around a bit with bottling from the keg... But I'm still leaning towards the jockey box. It just seems like an incredibly useful piece of equipment.

Thanks Again!

Old 02-14-2013, 03:17 AM   #17
norsk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Currently fermenting 20 gal of of 2 different beers for my best friends sons wedding on 3-30-2013. Gonna bottle 10 gal and keg 10 gal. Currently building a Keezer for the wedding as well. My friends wife wanted to be able to make labels for the bottles and my buddy wanted the Keezer... so we split the difference. His wife tossed out the comment that the Keezer better not look "Like it belongs in a garage instead of a house." The pressure is on....

veteransforpeace.org

VALHALLA BREWERY

Old 02-14-2013, 03:43 AM   #18
GetStrunk
Recipes 

I did bottles for mine - around 150 total, but I brewed and bottled it over the course of several months as it was ready. We didn't have time to properly label them (a friend made sheets of pretty but unworkable labels that had to be hand-punched), so we told everybody what the kinds were and half the fun was trying to choose the kind you wanted based on color or comparing this one to the last one you had.

We just went to Home Depot and bought two big steel tubs and filled them with ice, beer, pop, and water. One of my jerkface friends loudly announced there was "no more beer" after an hour because all the bottles had gone into the tubs - I think there were still 100 beers on ice, lol.

I didn't have kegs at the time, so bottles were my only option. They worked out great though, even though all the bottling (and later the cleanup) was kind of a pain in the ass. It was nice to have them all stacked and ready when the big day arrived so that there was no setup or fiddling. Just bottles into the ice, and a few bottle openers and a stack of cups nearby, and everybody knew what to do from there.

Strunk Brewing Co.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:40 AM   #19
gradoa
Recipes 

So I ended up going with the jockey box. Here is my build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-w...6/#post5170734

Quick Reply