Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Wedding Brew - keg or bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 03:16 AM   #1
gradoa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Wedding Brew - keg or bottles?

First off I would like to thank all of the contributors to this forum. You have provided heaps of information that has contributed to my love for brewing. It's help more than you know... I don't post much(at all). Anyways, I'd like your input on some things.

As the title implies, I am getting married. My brewing bud, also one of my groomsmen, offered to provide beer for the reception. We will be brewing 20 gal for the event. My questions focus on how to serve them. The wedding is at a vineyard in Oregon. I spoke with them about this and they are cool. So I am assuming there are not legal issues...

We mostly keg and that is what I am most comfortable with. However the few times I have served from a keg at a party, with one of those CO2 cartridge chargers, the resulting beer was foamy. Also, I feel that I have to tinker with the setup a lot. Since we will be relying on the vineyard wine guy to serve the beer I don't think I'd like this configuration. So we thought about bottling. I think the server would be more comfortable with the bottles. I don't really feel like bottling that much beer, or dealing with the leftovers....

After all of this, I am leaning towards building a jockey box and assigning one of my friends to setup and take down duty.

My questions:
1. Would a jockey box help ensure the beer would not be foamy?
2. If no, other recommendations?
3. I've seen that copper is no good for serving beer, but SS is expensive. Thoughts?
4. Any tips for the jockey box?

I apologize if these questions were answered already. I've been researching a lot and haven't encountered the information I need.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 03:19 AM   #2
evolcoms
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

First off, Congratulations! I would go keg. Less clean up

Beers
In the Works: Peach Berry Wheat Ale
Conditioning: Blue Moon Clone, Double O' Blossom Honey Hefeweizen
In the Fridge:Blind Pig IPA, Raspberry Wheat Ale, Capt. Cascade American Amber Ale
Ciders
Primary #1: Carmel Apple Cider 4 weeks on 01/16/13 Primary #2: Spiced Apple Cider 2 weeks on 01/17/13

Old 01-10-2013, 03:26 AM   #3
iaefebs
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 605

This is going to be one of your best nights of your life. You will be first in line for food, people will be giving you money and presents, your wife will be outstanding. Relax and serve bottle beer unless you are 100% sure how to do a keg.. Make some nice labels for the bottles.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:41 AM   #4
gromitdj
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I rented a jockey box for my wedding. I think it cost about $40, but was a nice micromatic unit and worked flawlessly. Check around at some of the bottle shops that sell kegs, they may also rent the Jockey Box. Congrats!

Donnie

Old 01-11-2013, 01:19 AM   #5
gradoa
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies.

I'm thinking the jockey box is the way I will go. I pitched it to the fiancé and she's for it. So we will be building one.

Any tips for building one or using one?

Old 01-11-2013, 01:52 AM   #6
shoreman
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I'm in the same boat but we are having a backyard wedding. I'm only going to have 2 beers on tap and was thinking of sticking them in a barrel on ice - but not sure about cobra taps or maybe the faucets on the cornies?

How much would a jockey box cost to build ?

Small Bottle Homebrew http://www.smallbottlehomebrew.com

Old 01-12-2013, 02:00 AM   #7
gradoa
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoreman View Post
I'm in the same boat but we are having a backyard wedding. I'm only going to have 2 beers on tap and was thinking of sticking them in a barrel on ice - but not sure about cobra taps or maybe the faucets on the cornies?

How much would a jockey box cost to build ?
We did something similar last summer. Two kegs in ice, with cobra taps. We used the portable charger for CO2. I'm not sure of all the reasons why, but we couldn't get a consisten good pour. It was pretty foamy and a lot of beer was wasted. Also, I had to tinker with it a bunch. So be warned that someone will need to adjust things when it's not pouring right. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I have been kegging for a few years and don't have much issues with my keezer setup...

I think the jockey box would take care of the pouring issues, because the beer would be properly chilled and there would be plenty of tubing to reduce the foam. I would definitely use a real CO2 tank and regulator though. So I would dial up the pressure to compensate.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:02 AM   #8
CTR08
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I have been thinking about this same issue as I am going to bring my cousin some brew for his wedding in the summer, and I have come to the conclusion to keg-- mostly because I fear the "yeast shot" might be off-putting to those who lack experience pouring a homebrew.

just my $0.02
but it looks like you have already decided on kegging so that's good

Old 01-12-2013, 02:16 AM   #9
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 141

Keg (In a trash can with ice) and jockey box. You'll get great cold pours with the JB and the coils inside will help with the foam, then asign one of your friends, who knows how to pour, to serve. That way you can RELAX and enjoy the moment. The night will go by so fast it'll make your head spin, but you'll remember it forever. Dont sweat the details just go with it.

Old 01-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #10
ThorGodOfThunder
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 13 Posts

You could carbonate in the keg then bottle with a beer gun to avoid getting yeast in the bottle. Then you don't need to worry about anything when you get to the event. Its more prep, but the day of the event will be much easier.

Quick Reply