Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > We no need no stinking beer gun...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #981
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluterio View Post
Can some one clarify for me on the use of a bottle filler instead of cutting the racking cane at an angle. Does this (bottle filler) http://morebeer.com/products/bottle-filler-removable-spring-38.htmlwork well? Im saving my money up to get a counterflow chiller and eventurally get a bottle filler but that might be a few months from now.
I used that same bottle filler with mine. I bought a Perlick 525 tap adapter and then stuck the end of the bottle filler into a picnic tap. It takes some practice to get it right. I completely disconnect the CO2 when I'm filling. I still may buy the MoreBeer bottle filler, but for now, this will work for my occasional bottle fills.

I entered one of the best light colored beers I've ever brewed into a competition and both sets of scores mentioned a paper bag taste which indicates some oxidation occurred. I assume that happened during the bottling.
Tap 3: Empty - APA coming June
Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:
Cold Conditioning: IPA
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #982
eluterio
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by limulus View Post
I used that same bottle filler with mine. I bought a Perlick 525 tap adapter and then stuck the end of the bottle filler into a picnic tap. It takes some practice to get it right. I completely disconnect the CO2 when I'm filling. I still may buy the MoreBeer bottle filler, but for now, this will work for my occasional bottle fills.
Im thinknig of doing what he had on the OP picnic tap. Instead of cutting the racking cane at an angle just use the bottle filler slow drain into the bottle and be done.

Ive been lucky to know people who work for a pepsi distributor and ive got a total of 7 corneys with 4 more on their way. I paid for 3 of them and the rest (8) cost me a batch of hef. Im sure Ill make my buddy one more but cant bet that price of free.

Im just starting into competitions and need to make it easier for me to bottle. Ive been doing this as of late.

Add priming sugar to each individual bottle appox 18. Filll each bottle from bucket and then empty bucket into keg. its time consuming and I would rather just fill as needed cause Ill be storing the kegs since I only have two taps.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #983
eluterio
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch69 View Post
I'm still trying to work my way through reading this massive thread, but I've got a similar question to the one above. Does anyone know if a racking cane with a curve at the top or a bottle filler works better? Or is it just personal preference? Thanks!
I honestly dont think it matters if its curved or not. As long as you can get it into the bottles. Hey all else fails try both and see what you like!

Oh and reading the entire post, nope stopped on page 3 then jumpped to the last 5.

Old 05-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #984
eluterio
Recipes 

Just bought my make shift beer gun. I had it at 3ish psi and while i filled my bottle it still had tons of foam. Also i had an issue with my stopper it was way too loose that it allowed for the foam to grow instead of shrinking it. Going to attempt it again tonight with 2 batches i just kegged.

I do have a question on this kegging and using beer gun right after. I used priming sugar at 2 oz per 2 cups of water. This was recommended by beer smith well it was 1.98 oz per for carbonation. Now if i use the beer gun and fill bottles would the 2 oz of priming sugar be enough to carb or should i add more priming sugar in each bottle to help with carbonation?

Old 05-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #985
mendozer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've used BM's design to fill bottles and growlers with success. For the growlers, I didn't get a bigger bung so it's not snug, but who cares bc I cap on foam anyways. I just turn psi down, and fill from the bottom. As for the tubing off the perlick on the last page, thats exactly what every micro does to fill growlers that I've seen, so it must be ok. Maybe I should just do that

I don't chill bottles, what was the point of that again?

Old 05-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #986
Komocabo
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendozer View Post

I don't chill bottles, what was the point of that again?
I have heard that it's supposed to reduce foam. Have not done it myself. I just fill the growler like they do at the brewery. Tube on the faucet and let it go. I keep mine at about 8 psi and it works well. Never messed with filling bottles from a kwg. My buddy always bottles 6 beers when he racks to secondary and puts those Minton fermtab pills in there. Not ideal IMO because those pills aren't sanitized, but he has been successful, so to each his own.

And on the eighth day he said "Make beer!"

Old 05-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #987
eluterio
Recipes 

Limulus,

When you entered it in how long did it sit before it was tested 2 weeks or longer?? Im into competitions and im wondering would it be better to bottle a few like I have been doing for competitions and keg the rest?

How do you guys store the bottles once filled? At room temp or in the fridge to keep it cool?

Old 05-28-2013, 04:09 PM   #988
limulus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluterio View Post
Limulus,

When you entered it in how long did it sit before it was tested 2 weeks or longer?? Im into competitions and im wondering would it be better to bottle a few like I have been doing for competitions and keg the rest?

How do you guys store the bottles once filled? At room temp or in the fridge to keep it cool?
I bottled 4. Three for the competition and one to keep at home which I opened and drank the day of the competition. The one I kept was fine. Maybe a little low on carbonation, but not oxidized. I think shipping from Atlanta to the west coast definitely contributed to the bottles getting shaken and then they had to sit another week before the competition. Next time I use this, I'll fill the bottle a little higher.
Tap 3: Empty - APA coming June
Kolsch coming July

Primary:
Secondary:
Cold Conditioning: IPA
On Deck: Kolsch
On Deck: Pale Ale
On Deck: Dusseldorf Altbier

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
-Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #989
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Did a variation on this yesterday due to picnic taps being split:

I put my bevlex tubing into a piece of racking tube (3/8) after heating the larger tubing. I then cooled it. This was just a very short, 2" piece of 3/8 tubing. I slid the stopper on my bottling wand, then I inserted bottling wand into the other end of the short 3/8 tubing, so it went flush with the bevlex. I was able to bottle a 12-pack at 3PSI this way by getting the stopper height right where it would "seal" the bottle, then just pinching the stopper. No valve to operate, no cracking the picnic tap (cracked two doing it the original way), just be careful with the bottling wand once it's "hot" on the keg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 05-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #990
eluterio
Recipes 

Has anyone done this and what was your results?

Use priming sugar to carbonate keg store at 70degrees. Release pressure after a 5 day to get 3 psi. Fill some bottles as its hooked to co2 tank then return pressure to 10 psi and store again at 70 degrees?

When storing bottles from example above would one recommend store at room temp or in fridge?

Quick Reply