Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > We no need no stinking beer gun...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #961
koomber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Looking at using this nice little setup for bottling my beer in the future, I was wondering about obtaining the correct level of carbonation.

I'm guessing that I would need to use this chart somehow, but I can#t figure out how lol.
http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

Any advice gratefully recieved.

*** EvilTOJ_ changed topic to <koomber> Bodka. Mae from 100% geniuine dylexic potatos

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2013, 11:32 PM   #962
mike_in_winchester
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Say you want to carb your Marzen to 2.47 volumes and your keezer is set to 40 degrees. You find 40 on the left hand column then go to your right until you find your desired volume. Go up to the top column from that desired volume and 12 lbs is what you set the regulator to.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:30 AM   #963
koomber
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Cheers for the help Mike.

What I'm wondering is, if I was using the beer gun and I wanted to have my beer have, say 2.5 volumes of CO2 at serving temp of 40F. What pressure would I need to get my beer at before I bottled, when the beer temp will be around 30F. I know I need to drop to 3PSI before bottling, but prior to that I need to get the beer to the point where it will have sufficient carbonation so that when I warm it it won't be over or under pressured.

Does this chart come into play then?

*** EvilTOJ_ changed topic to <koomber> Bodka. Mae from 100% geniuine dylexic potatos

Old 04-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #964
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 680 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 620

Yup, you want 2.5 volumes at 30F (below freezing? Really?), so you'd set your regulator to 7 PSI. That'd carbonate the beer to 2.5 volumes. Then when you're ready to bottle, simply drop the pressure to 3 PSI (the carbonation will not instantly all come out of solution), bottle, and cap. Now no matter what temperature you store the beer at, it will have 2.5 volumes of CO2 in solution. The pressure in the headspace will vary, but the volumes of CO2 is locked in.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #965
koomber
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Cheers Kombot.
I'll level with you, I may have picked too low a temperature there lol. More used to working in Celsius (and when I do work in Fahrenheit it's in the region of 120F)

Old 04-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #966
JABBY
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Good to know thank you

"Make sure that the beer – four pints a week – goes to the troops under fire before any of the parties in the rear get a drop."
-Winston Churchill to his Secretary of War, 1944

E-Bot Likes This 
Old 05-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #967
WissahickonBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 26

It's always a crap shoot for me, why doesn't the kegerator chart indicate how many days it takes to achieve the CO2 volume desired according to the settings indicated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by koomber View Post
Looking at using this nice little setup for bottling my beer in the future, I was wondering about obtaining the correct level of carbonation.

I'm guessing that I would need to use this chart somehow, but I can#t figure out how lol.
http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:55 AM   #968
Alucard1983
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm just wondering if this would work.. Over carb the beer in the keg by 2 times (if you want your beer at 2.5 put it at 5). Fill it up to the neck like a normal beer bottle. That way you don't have to be up to the top. And it would equalize to 2.5 with the head space.

Primary's Air
Carboy's Raspberry wine, pale ale
Kegged Cooper's Stout, Coopers lager, Newfie dive bomber pee
On tap Cooper's lager, Cooper's Stout

Old 05-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #969
WissahickonBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I think the O2 in the head space would compromise your beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard1983 View Post
I'm just wondering if this would work.. Over carb the beer in the keg by 2 times (if you want your beer at 2.5 put it at 5). Fill it up to the neck like a normal beer bottle. That way you don't have to be up to the top. And it would equalize to 2.5 with the head space.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #970
Hilbert
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I use this method to fill growlers and it works great.

The only thing I tweaked is that I don't change my regulator pressure. When I'm ready to fill I shut off the valve for the keg, purge some co2 and start filling. If the flow slows down too much I turn the CO2 back on for a couple seconds just to keep the liquid flowing.

I find this to be easier than messing with the regulator every time. I have also done this for a handful of bottles for a competition and it works great. I don't know if it would work for an entire case but for a couple bottles it works great.

Tap 4: Heffe
BigPicture Likes This 

Quick Reply