The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > We no need no stinking beer gun...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 12:43 AM   #891
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr

Yes, leave some space and cap on foam.

I used the BMBF before I had a beer gun. With the beer gun you can purge with CO2 easily before filling. This may not be that big a deal. You could have a second BMBF for only CO2 if you cared enough.
I suppose the advantage is you don't have to get the beer to foam and cap on it when you purge.

Lifetime NRA Membership for $300 - 888-678-7894

Dual Stage Fermentation Chamber Build

My e-Brew Magic HERMS build

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #892
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 661 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 588

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
you don't fill the bottles all the way to the very top with liquid and then cap, right?
I fill right to the very top with liquid, but with the bottling cane still all the way in the bottle. Then, removing the cane produces some headspace in the neck of the bottle (equal, obviously, to the amount of beer displaced by the cane when it was inserted in the bottle).

Old 01-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #893
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat

I fill right to the very top with liquid, but with the bottling cane still all the way in the bottle. Then, removing the cane produces some headspace in the neck of the bottle (equal, obviously, to the amount of beer displaced by the cane when it was inserted in the bottle).
Right. That's how I bottle when I bottle condition/carb. Usually a good final volume that way and consistent.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #894
Intheswamp
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
I suppose the advantage is you don't have to get the beer to foam and cap on it when you purge.
When you withdraw the beergun or the BMBF from the bottle this will lower the liquid level. When the level lowers it will draw outside air (oxygen) into the bottle. I would think you would still want to bottle on the foam so that you push out the oxygen that was drawn in.

Ed

Old 01-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #895
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
When you withdraw the beergun or the BMBF from the bottle this will lower the liquid level. When the level lowers it will draw outside air (oxygen) into the bottle. I would think you would still want to bottle on the foam so that you push out the oxygen that was drawn in.

Ed
If you purge with CO2 first, there shouldn't be O2 in there as the CO2 is going to stay below the oxygen. Just a guess. Otherwise, what's the point of purging with CO2?

Old 01-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #896
Intheswamp
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
If you purge with CO2 first, there shouldn't be O2 in there as the CO2 is going to stay below the oxygen. Just a guess. Otherwise, what's the point of purging with CO2?
If you have the nozzle/stem of the gun/BMBF inside the bottle and fill to top of the bottle this will push CO2 or any other gas (oxygen) out of the bottle. This leaves liquid and the nozzle inside the bottle. The problem that I see is when you withdraw the stem/nozzle of the beer gun or BMBF. The nozzle has displaced a bit of liquid and when withdrawn the surface of the liquid will drop to fill the space where the nozzle had been. The dropping of the liquid level will create a space that has to be filled by "something"...that *something* is a very small amount of CO2 that is being released but mostly it is the air outside of the bottle that is pulled inside to fill the newly created empty space.

In my newbee mind, the reason I see for purging with CO2 is to prevent the beer or other product from being heavily aerated by splashing and swirling in the presence of the oxygen that would be present in an unpurged bottle. If there is no foam after removing the nozzle then there will be oxygen that has been drawn into that space. Either cap on the foam or use CO2 again and purge that small space.

Maybe I'm missing something that you're seeing?

Ed

Old 01-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #897
jtkratzer

Recipes 

I was talking about the beer gun that allows one to purge before filling. If you have to foam the beer and make a mess with the beer gun even after purging, I really don't see the point of buying one over using BM's method with a bottling wand.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:10 PM   #898
AnchorBock
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
I was talking about the beer gun that allows one to purge before filling. If you have to foam the beer and make a mess with the beer gun even after purging, I really don't see the point of buying one over using BM's method with a bottling wand.
I dont think you need to cap on foam with a beergun since you can purge bottle, fill bottle, purge headspace, cap. I still see no need to get one and use the method in this thread.

Homebrewing blog: http://bagendbrewery.wordpress.com

Beer Engine Caskegerator - Hand pump/keg enclosure for Real Ale at home.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #899
Intheswamp
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorBock View Post
I dont think you need to cap on foam with a beergun since you can purge bottle, fill bottle, purge headspace, cap. I still see no need to get one and use the method in this thread.
So as you withdraw the beergun and the tip is just inside the mouth of the bottle you are able to put a little co2 in it to purge any oxygen drawn into the bottle? You are able to add the little bit of co2 in the same motion as taking the nozzle out of the bottle? I'm just not sure of the procedure for using a beer gun.

Ed

Old 01-10-2013, 01:04 AM   #900
AnchorBock
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
So as you withdraw the beergun and the tip is just inside the mouth of the bottle you are able to put a little co2 in it to purge any oxygen drawn into the bottle? You are able to add the little bit of co2 in the same motion as taking the nozzle out of the bottle? I'm just not sure of the procedure for using a beer gun.

Ed
Check out this video:

Homebrewing blog: http://bagendbrewery.wordpress.com

Beer Engine Caskegerator - Hand pump/keg enclosure for Real Ale at home.

Quick Reply