*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > We no need no stinking beer gun...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 12:58 AM   #881
schooner427
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Wow...I like cheap!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #882
Toy4Rick
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I recently filled 24 bottles for buddies at work. Didn't use the stopper, used about 1PSI just to move the beer and had virtually no foam. Took about 20 seconds to fill a 12oz bottle.

Since the bottling wand drains out pretty quickly, the first bottle of the next batch would foam up more so I would fill the tube first then stick it in the bottle and fill. I did about 6 bottles at a time, cap them and move on to the next batch.

Guess I could use the bottling wand tiop to prevent it from draining out between bottles/batches

Very easy for sure

Toy4Rick

If I can't ride it... 1997 Goldwing
If I can't shoot it... PX4 Storm, Browning Buckmark, S&W 357, Ruger 10-22
or drink it... my Homebrew

Why bother

Old 12-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #883
homebrewbeliever
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

For those of you that have used the BMBF, what about purging the bottle with CO2 ahead of time? I would think that this would be important if you were going to store your beer in a cellar for a while, right? I got some money for Christmas and I was thinking of purchasing MoreBeer's counter pressure bottle filler (http://morebeer.com/view_product/18279/104252/Counter_Pressure_Bottle_Filler), as I love the idea of carbonating in a keg and then bottling for cellar storage. Anyone store their beer for a few months in a cellar using a BMBF?

For eclectic escapades in home-brewed deliciousness:
http://homebrewbeliever.blogspot.com

Old 12-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #884
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 582 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewbeliever View Post
For those of you that have used the BMBF, what about purging the bottle with CO2 ahead of time? I would think that this would be important if you were going to store your beer in a cellar for a while, right? I got some money for Christmas and I was thinking of purchasing MoreBeer's counter pressure bottle filler (http://morebeer.com/view_product/18279/104252/Counter_Pressure_Bottle_Filler), as I love the idea of carbonating in a keg and then bottling for cellar storage. Anyone store their beer for a few months in a cellar using a BMBF?
I have.

Purging the bottle with CO2 before filling is really not necessary. The exposure to oxygen is negligible and it is the beer that actually purges the air as you fill. If you give the bottles a quick tip holding the caps on with your finger....the beer will begin to foam. Just cap on foam and you're capping on CO2.

I've had beers in storage for months (and some barley wines and RIS's for years) using this method and there are no issues with oxidation. The only issue I've had is when I rushed the kegging process and as a result, when I returned the beers to room temperature in bottles, they resumed some minute fermentation and became over carbonated.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:36 AM   #885
Intheswamp
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Wow, wow, wow...what a thread!!! My hat's off to you BM, lovely KISS design.

I'm new to all things brewing. I'm a beekeeper that got interested in mead and have started a couple of batches started...a JAOM that's 2+ months old and a traditional that was 1 month old on Christmas Eve. Both are coming along nicely. BTW, over the last several years I've just about stopped drinking...I think the mead has tweaked my interest again.

Anyhow, in regards to carbonation and foam I would like to make some of my mead sparkling...will mead foam as much as beer during the bottling stage? Should the BMBF work good for mead? I've pretty much gathered up the equipment to keg with, just gotta get my co2 tank filled now...and order some #2 drilled stoppers.

Thanks for the design again, BM!
Ed

Old 12-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #886
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 582 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intheswamp View Post
Wow, wow, wow...what a thread!!! My hat's off to you BM, lovely KISS design.

... in regards to carbonation and foam I would like to make some of my mead sparkling...will mead foam as much as beer during the bottling stage? Should the BMBF work good for mead? ...
Thanks for the design again, BM!
Ed
I've carb'd and bottled every conceivable beer style, hard cider, water (club soda) and hard lemonade using this method with success. No reason to think you can't apply the same practice to mead.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 12-31-2012, 05:41 PM   #887
homebrewbeliever

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher

I have.

Purging the bottle with CO2 before filling is really not necessary. The exposure to oxygen is negligible and it is the beer that actually purges the air as you fill. If you give the bottles a quick tip holding the caps on with your finger....the beer will begin to foam. Just cap on foam and you're capping on CO2.

I've had beers in storage for months (and some barley wines and RIS's for years) using this method and there are no issues with oxidation. The only issue I've had is when I rushed the kegging process and as a result, when I returned the beers to room temperature in bottles, they resumed some minute fermentation and became over carbonated.
Thanks so much for your reply, BierMuncher! That totally makes sense, and I bet you can even be extra sure if you use some oxygen-absorbing caps... I'll have to just forego buying a counter-pressure bottle filler and just make one of your BMBFs!

For eclectic escapades in home-brewed deliciousness:
http://homebrewbeliever.blogspot.com

Old 01-04-2013, 07:24 AM   #888
Ricochetbrew
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 5 Posts

Good info. Im gonna try this out!

Old 01-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #889
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I haven't read all 89 pages, but I'm guessing my interpretation of the instructions is off - you don't fill the bottles all the way to the very top with liquid and then cap, right? Sounds like you'd fill to a normal level for bottled beer, get it to foam over, and then cap on the overflowing foam.

Is there any disadvantage to this method compared to the beer gun, bought or homemade? Biggest advantage seems to be that it's cheap and doesn't require the purchase of much of anything.

My e-Brew Magic HERMS build

Old 01-04-2013, 07:04 PM   #890
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
I haven't read all 89 pages, but I'm guessing my interpretation of the instructions is off - you don't fill the bottles all the way to the very top with liquid and then cap, right? Sounds like you'd fill to a normal level for bottled beer, get it to foam over, and then cap on the overflowing foam.

Is there any disadvantage to this method compared to the beer gun, bought or homemade? Biggest advantage seems to be that it's cheap and doesn't require the purchase of much of anything.
Yes, leave some space and cap on foam.

I used the BMBF before I had a beer gun. With the beer gun you can purge with CO2 easily before filling. This may not be that big a deal. You could have a second BMBF for only CO2 if you cared enough.

2012 Canadian Brewer of the Year
2013 Canadian Brewer of the Year

@evilgoatbrewing

Quick Reply