Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > We no need no stinking beer gun...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2012, 02:36 AM   #871
ryanmx48
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

do you use star san to sanitize the bottles? If so, do you sanitize, not rinse and then put them in the freezer? Do the bottles ice up? I'm ready to go, just looking for the best sanitization process to use before immediately going to the freezer. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 03:23 AM   #872
Schumed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Yes star San

"To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems,"

Old 12-01-2012, 03:44 AM   #873
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmx48 View Post
do you use star san to sanitize the bottles? If so, do you sanitize, not rinse and then put them in the freezer? Do the bottles ice up? I'm ready to go, just looking for the best sanitization process to use before immediately going to the freezer. Thanks
Ya, I squirt the bottles with star san and let them drain, then I put a sanitized piece of tin foil on top and in the freezer it goes. There is a tiny bit of ice, but nothing to worry about

Old 12-01-2012, 04:10 AM   #874
ryanmx48
Recipes 

great, thanks guys! Looking forward to this!

Old 12-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #875
Goyagon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ive been trying to get this to work but i cant my keg to 5 psis without it leaking. Is there anyway else to slow down the flow. Im getting alot of foam and not alot of beer.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #876
AnchorBock
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumed View Post
So I just got back some score sheets from a competition I entered (foamcup.us) The 3 entries I used this method with all had comments about oxidation flaws...from 6 separate judges. I had two other entries where I didn't use this method and didn't get the comments.

I did do the put the cap on flip up over and purge the oxygen before capping. So not sure what was up. I didn't get ding for low carbonation or anything like that.

One of my brewing buddies mentioned he got the same comments using the same method....anyone else deal with this issue using the method...Personally I'm a little shock such a small amount of oxygen can cause oxidation in a week. Put I can't think of anything else that would of caused it...it was great coming out of the keg....maybe bottles weren't rinsed well enough???

Thoughts???
I actually got some oxidation comments before I started using this method (before I was just using tubing to bottle). I have entered 11 beers using this method so far and the only oxidation-like comment was from a dry hopped APA being a bit past it's prime (I got that from the keg also so I know it wasn't from bottling).

How much headspace did you have in the bottles? Did you cap on foam?

Homebrewing blog: http://bagendbrewery.wordpress.com

Beer Engine Caskegerator - Hand pump/keg enclosure for Real Ale at home.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #877
WilliamBrewster
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I bottled an entire batch for the first time in seven years with this method. It cost me less than a dollar in extra parts, took 12 bottles to figure out, and another 24 to master.

Thanks all!

Old 12-16-2012, 05:18 AM   #878
mendozer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

did you have any spilling? I imagine for a large batch like yours it was pretty systematical. I filled 8 as bottles to give away so i was spilling quite a bit between bottling capping myself and filling

Old 12-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #879
tsname
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This thing is tits, and it's so cheap and easy! Bottled up my Chai Porter, had a little spillage (a good amount) but finally got a good system going. Plus growler filling works well too. I have my pressure down to 1 or 2 psi and it's perfect.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:35 AM   #880
WilliamBrewster
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I spilled more beer than I liked during the first dozen bottles...enough to pour into a pint glass and drink...although hardly a squirt afterwards.

I filled six bottles up to the bottom of the bung in one pass. That filled up the bottles to about two inches from the top. I backed the filler tube up until about two inches stuck through and went around filling again. That left the beer within one inch of the top. I put on a cap, tipped the bottle 90 degrees and back with my finger on top, took the cover off until the small co2 bubbles flowed up and over, recapped on top of foam and ran the bottle capper.

This method is way easier than the actual instructions to do it! I will make sure I have a whole range of bungs for all my bottle-filling needs!!

Quick Reply