Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > We no need no stinking beer gun...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #841
mistercameron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon488 View Post
Just like cat007, I used a hack saw and sandpaper. It wasn't tough, but I imagine that a Dremel would make it way easier.
The problem I've had with dremmels and plastic is that the plastic can melt at the cutting surface from all the friction with the disc. It can get messy and you end up having to sand off all the melted plastic burrs anyway.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #842
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What do you need to remove? The end of mine just pulls off. Or leave it on and use it as is as your shut off.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:22 PM   #843
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 674 Times on 436 Posts
Likes Given: 602

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
What do you need to remove? The end of mine just pulls off. Or leave it on and use it as is as your shut off.

The design specifies that the end of the racking/bottling cane is mitered, rather than blunt, to allow beer to flow even when the cane is physically touching the bottom of the bottle. I was just wondering how people achieve a clean miter cut.

I ended up doing mine with a hacksaw, followed by some ultra-fine grit sandpaper and a good cleaning.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #844
Yambor44

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
The design specifies that the end of the racking/bottling cane is mitered, rather than blunt, to allow beer to flow even when the cane is physically touching the bottom of the bottle. I was just wondering how people achieve a clean miter cut.

I ended up doing mine with a hacksaw, followed by some ultra-fine grit sandpaper and a good cleaning.
Gotcha.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #845
stepcg6
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Low Carbonation with this setup

Question for you guys:

Two days ago I filled up two Sierra Nevada style bottles with this beer gun method. I sanitized the bottles in ice chilled water so they were nice and cold, and filled these two bottles with beer. The beer had been carbed for at least a month, so I bled off the pressure, set it to about 5 and filled the bottles slowly.

In case this matters, I bottled two beers, one with more headspace than I'd like, one with the correct amount of headspace. I opened the one with more headspace, as if it was ok I wanted to send the correctly filled one to my sister. I capped on foam and chilled in the fridge for a day. When I tried them yesterday, I felt like the carbonation was a little low in the body (though a good amount of bubbles), and little to no head. The head was also more pale and bubbly than the creamy rich head I get from the tap.

Any suggestions? Did the headspace affect anything? Do I need to let the bottles chill for longer than a day? Anyone notice anything incorrect in my setup?

Thanks for the help! I'd really like this to work because I get a lot of rich head from my kegorator and this didn't seem to replicate as well.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:19 PM   #846
BuddyBrews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepcg6 View Post
Question for you guys:

Two days ago I filled up two Sierra Nevada style bottles with this beer gun method. I sanitized the bottles in ice chilled water so they were nice and cold, and filled these two bottles with beer. The beer had been carbed for at least a month, so I bled off the pressure, set it to about 5 and filled the bottles slowly.

In case this matters, I bottled two beers, one with more headspace than I'd like, one with the correct amount of headspace. I opened the one with more headspace, as if it was ok I wanted to send the correctly filled one to my sister. I capped on foam and chilled in the fridge for a day. When I tried them yesterday, I felt like the carbonation was a little low in the body (though a good amount of bubbles), and little to no head. The head was also more pale and bubbly than the creamy rich head I get from the tap.

Any suggestions? Did the headspace affect anything? Do I need to let the bottles chill for longer than a day? Anyone notice anything incorrect in my setup?

Thanks for the help! I'd really like this to work because I get a lot of rich head from my kegorator and this didn't seem to replicate as well.
Definitely the headspace. The best ones i have had using this method were filled to the top and capped very quickly.

Lots and lots of beer!!

Old 10-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #847
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluntsandbeers View Post
Definitely the headspace. The best ones i have had using this method were filled to the top and capped very quickly.
I find my bottles are ok after a week or so, if I were to bottle and then open it the next day it is a little "off" compared to right of the tap. I think the beers need some more time to adjust

Old 10-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #848
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 674 Times on 436 Posts
Likes Given: 602

Hi guys,

I've assembled this device myself and gave it a try this weekend. I had a minor problem: When I inserted the racking cane into the picnic tap, the tap nozzle cracked. It seems the cane is just slightly too big. Is there a trick to getting it to fit? Do you sand it down a little bit? Heat it in hot water or carefully over a flame? Or is my picnic tap sized slightly smaller than your guys'?

Old 10-09-2012, 12:08 AM   #849
BuddyBrews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
Hi guys,

I've assembled this device myself and gave it a try this weekend. I had a minor problem: When I inserted the racking cane into the picnic tap, the tap nozzle cracked. It seems the cane is just slightly too big. Is there a trick to getting it to fit? Do you sand it down a little bit? Heat it in hot water or carefully over a flame? Or is my picnic tap sized slightly smaller than your guys'?
Your tap must be smaller, i have multiple picnic taps that it fits it too perfectly without cutting or sanding.

Lots and lots of beer!!

Old 10-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #850
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

One of my taps is cracked, likely from doing this over and over. Good news is picnic taps are cheap. I believe I got mine from ritebrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Quick Reply