Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > We no need no stinking beer gun...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 11:22 PM   #821
bwarbiany
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 557 Times on 326 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasontheBeaver View Post
Yes, I use the inserts when bottling.
Also, just jam a plastic bottling wand into your picnic tap. No need to use the rubber stopper, drilling holes, etc. Reduce your keg pressure to get a nice slow fill without excessive foaming, then cap on foam.
I did this for a long time, and just recently replaced it with the Bowie Bottler. With the stopper, I can fill under standard serving pressure (which is useful since I've got 5 taps and don't like mucking around with opening the keezer and changing pressure on all those kegs) with no foam loss. I'd much rather have a system I can use at normal serving pressure.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #822
chronlord
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Just found this thread after purchasing a counter-pressure beer gun. I was searching the webs for videos demonstrating how it's used ... when I stumbled upon this thread. Long story short -- made this BeirMuncher filler last night and filled a few bottles for my first entry into a competition. Worked like a charm. Spilled a bit, but that was due to me forgetting to shut off the tap between bottles.

Anyway, if BeirMuncher is still active on this board, I wanted to thank him personally for making my life easier and this hobby a bit more enjoyable.

CHEERS!!

Old 09-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #823
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 581 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronlord View Post
...Anyway, if BeirMuncher is still active on this board, I wanted to thank him personally for making my life easier and this hobby a bit more enjoyable.

CHEERS!!
I'll pass along your note when I see him.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:39 PM   #824
HaveADrinkOnMe
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

what are the downsides to just attaching tubing to the dispensing faucet and placing the tube at the bottom of the bottles?

Old 09-11-2012, 04:36 AM   #825
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveADrinkOnMe View Post
what are the downsides to just attaching tubing to the dispensing faucet and placing the tube at the bottom of the bottles?
It works OK, I have seen some places that fill growlers at the bar that way. You get a bit more foam and lose a bit of carbonation, but for the short-term it is fine. I actually sometimes get lazy and if I'm going somewhere and want to bring a few brews with me, I'll just fill a few chilled bottles right out of the tap with no tubing or anything. I wouldn't submit them to a competition like that or anything, but if I'm drinking them fairly soon it works out OK.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #826
natewv
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Biermuncher (or any) beer gunners, what are your thoughts on going this route vs. a more standard racking 2 or so gallons to a bottling bucket, adding appropriate amounts of priming sugar, and bottling 'normally' then kegging the rest vs the beer gun process?

Question 2, my buddy gave me a device that attaches right to my non-perlick tap and has about a foot of beverage line attached to it. It always gets all foamed up when I try to bottle or fill a growler. I'm clearly missing the obvious steps of bleeding the keg of CO2 and of having the bottles colder. Can I have success just using this as opposed to getting a racking cane and stopper?

Old 09-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #827
SCWells72
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by natewv
Biermuncher (or any) beer gunners, what are your thoughts on going this route vs. a more standard racking 2 or so gallons to a bottling bucket, adding appropriate amounts of priming sugar, and bottling 'normally' then kegging the rest vs the beer gun process?
I never know how many bottles I'm going to need from a given batch. I just pull exactly what I need when I need it, mostly for competitions, but sometimes to share with folks, and this technique has worked flawlessly and, for the most part, effortlessly for me for the past several years.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #828
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by natewv View Post
Nothing wrong with splitting up the batch and bottling some the old-fashioned way. It's just a bit more work is all. Plus, the beer gun is just flat-out cool and fun to use. It is also nice to not have to wait for bottle conditioning. I have settled in to a routine where I keg everything, drink off the tap for a while, then bottle the last bit with my beergun or BMBF to free up the keg when I need the space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natewv View Post
Question 2, my buddy gave me a device that attaches right to my non-perlick tap and has about a foot of beverage line attached to it. It always gets all foamed up when I try to bottle or fill a growler. I'm clearly missing the obvious steps of bleeding the keg of CO2 and of having the bottles colder. Can I have success just using this as opposed to getting a racking cane and stopper?
You sure can. You'd be amazed what a difference chilling the bottles will make (and the line that you attach to your tap - if that line is warm, it will foam up before it gets to the bottle. Any increase in temperature on the way to the bottle = foam). Also, turn the pressure way down to about 2-3 PSI. Like I said, sometimes I am lazy and just fill right from the tap, no tubing or anything. And as long as I chill the bottles and turn the pressure way down it works out OK.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:34 PM   #829
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Just tried this and it worked out great thanks for the tip.

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Old 09-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #830
natewv
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamWiz View Post
Nothing wrong with splitting up the batch and bottling some the old-fashioned way. It's just a bit more work is all. Plus, the beer gun is just flat-out cool and fun to use. It is also nice to not have to wait for bottle conditioning. I have settled in to a routine where I keg everything, drink off the tap for a while, then bottle the last bit with my beergun or BMBF to free up the keg when I need the space.

You sure can. You'd be amazed what a difference chilling the bottles will make (and the line that you attach to your tap - if that line is warm, it will foam up before it gets to the bottle. Any increase in temperature on the way to the bottle = foam). Also, turn the pressure way down to about 2-3 PSI. Like I said, sometimes I am lazy and just fill right from the tap, no tubing or anything. And as long as I chill the bottles and turn the pressure way down it works out OK.
So then what is the advantage of the stopper using BM's method?

Quick Reply