Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > We no need no stinking beer gun...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #751
profbaker11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

This thread is amazing...just did it for the first time with no problems. Had a coffee stout to clear out of the keg to clear up space for my Honey Steam. Thanks guys so much for the brilliant idea!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #752
Ibanous
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

This is great, had the parts I needed sitting around to try this and a test bottle worked great. I'll have to get an extra cobra tap so I don't risk breaking my second tap (untill I get around to building my dual tower) by using it.

I'll also have to drink my test bottle tonight since I didn't sanitize everything.

I think I'll give this a full blown test next week with my IPA thats dry hopping. My last IPA batch I split half in keg half in bottle. I think the hop aroma dulled after bottle conditioning for 3+ weeks. This should allow me to bottle "fresh" from the keg without waiting for carbonation.

Primary: Unnamed Milk Stout
Secondary: First attempt Mead, Raspberry Apfelwein
Keg: Hot Red Head Stawberry wheat, Infamous Imperial IPA

Old 02-28-2012, 10:43 PM   #753
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 610 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by profbaker11 View Post
This thread is amazing...just did it for the first time with no problems. Had a coffee stout to clear out of the keg to clear up space for my Honey Steam. Thanks guys so much for the brilliant idea!!
Um... you're welcome.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:25 AM   #754
Spitfire6
Recipes 

Thanks for this thread! I am just starting to send some brews in to competitions and just kegged one of the best beers I ever made. No time to bottle condition the other 5 gallons so I tried a further simplified version. I only had a stopper in the size that fits a five gallon carboy so figured I would just press down hard against the top of the bottle, and let up slightly to release pressure. Worked great!

I found that the joint between the stopper and the racking cane leaked slightly when wet with starsan. This allowed pressure release at just the right level and the bottle filled slowly with no foaming. I went back a second time to fill two bottles for storage and the joint was now dry and did not leak. I was able to release pressure at the base of the stopper and control the fill perfectly. Very little spillage.

My only comcern is that I just stuffed the racking cane into my "working" picknic tap. Hoping no wee beasties are growing there. Anyway, it's off to San Antonio!

Old 03-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #755
DustjunkieScott
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been doing this for a few months now and wonder how I ever bottled or filled growlers any other way. Thank you very much!

Old 03-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #756
awarner322
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

How bad is it on a beer to bottle it off the keg...then store it at room temp?

Old 03-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #757
AdamWiz
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarner322 View Post
How bad is it on a beer to bottle it off the keg...then store it at room temp?
It's fine. I have limited fridge space, so when I bottle beer from a keg with my beergun I end up storing most of it at room temp. I was worried about it at first, so I did some experimenting where I would take 2 beers bottled at the same time and keep one in the fridge and keep the other in a case in my basement. A couple weeks later I put the warm one in the fridge, waited for it to chill, and did a side-by-side tasting. Both were exactly the same, there were no defects in the one not stored cold. I can't remember where I read this, but I recall hearing that the whole "once beer is cold , it MUST stay cold or it's ruined" concern is not as big an issue as people think. As long as the beer isn't repeatedly going through big temperature fluctuations or sitting at elevated temperatures (above 72 or so) for long periods of time, apparently it's fine.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #758
Adeering
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts

So finally got my system working with 7' of beer line, a picnic tap, a #2 stopper, a liquid tap connect, and a bottling wand. I took the bottling wand and remove the tip and ground the tip into a 45 angle. Shoved the bottling wand all the way into the picnic tap and taped around the connection. Worked great and bottled 24 bottles off my keg to empty it. No foam at all and worked great.

Kegged: None :(
Bottled: None
Next Brews: Pumpkin Ale, Unknown

Old 03-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #759
paparker21
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Did this for the first time last night with pretty good success. Seems like I always had a little bit of foam at the start when the wand is initially empty. I also had trouble finding a pressure that worked well.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:48 AM   #760
21Hokie
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default For those that have done this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
Here's something I found on the net a while ago. Thanks to Ken Schwartz! It rocks!

I am kegging my first two brews in a couple weeks (need to make two more to load all four taps), so I've been searching for a way to bottle from the keg. This looks relatively simple but I did have a couple questions:
1 - where might I pick up an an air chuck for this purpose?
2 - how do I attach the chuck to an air line and the line...does it just attach to the regulator?

Thanks in advance. Kegerator (keezer) almost finished. 4way manifold will arrive Tuesday as will the tap handles! This will allow me to continue to share!

Quick Reply