Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > We no need no stinking beer gun...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #741
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Has anyone tried a similar set-up using a bottling wand? I'm looking to make a beer gun for filling a few bottles at a time (I'll never bottle an entire batch from a keg). My thoughts were to use a spare disconnect, attach some serving line, then attach a bottling wand to the end. Has anyone tried this before? Seems like its simple and should work.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #742
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Has anyone tried a similar set-up using a bottling wand? I'm looking to make a beer gun for filling a few bottles at a time (I'll never bottle an entire batch from a keg). My thoughts were to use a spare disconnect, attach some serving line, then attach a bottling wand to the end. Has anyone tried this before? Seems like its simple and should work.
Thats what I did. I think its the same diameter as the racking cane. First time I didn't have a problem, but the second time (see my earlier post) it split the picnic tap. So just be careful

Old 02-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #743
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 838 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

Thanks. I'm gonna make an attempt at this soon.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #744
fastenova
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I tried using a bottling wand and still got a lot of foam, but I was only using a few feet of 1/4" hose. I think the valve at the bottom caused a lot of turbulence at the higher flow rate I was using.

Going to try again sans bottling wand with 10' of 3/16 hose for serving and for bottling as well. I was also just using the inner portion of an auto-siphon. I picked up a racking cane for a few dollars that I'll shorten and angle the bottom of as well. I have high hopes!

Cheers!

Old 02-09-2012, 02:47 AM   #745
limeybrewer
Recipes 

Default Awesome Idea. I adapted it a little

This works great for me thanks so much for the post. I made a slight change to mine. I found that depressing the bung to release pressure was a problem as it did not leave me a free hand to drink with!. I fixed this by inserting a regular sewing needle down the side of the racking cane within the cork. This tiny vent gives me perfect fills. I get fantastic results. slow steady fils and guess what? .... I can drink with my free hand !

Old 02-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #746
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeybrewer View Post
This works great for me thanks so much for the post. I made a slight change to mine. I found that depressing the bung to release pressure was a problem as it did not leave me a free hand to drink with!. I fixed this by inserting a regular sewing needle down the side of the racking cane within the cork. This tiny vent gives me perfect fills. I get fantastic results. slow steady fils and guess what? .... I can drink with my free hand !
thanks for the excellent tip! I will definitely try this next time...

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Old 02-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #747
TrainSafe
John Gage wannabe
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by limeybrewer
You, sir, are a Genius!

Old 02-10-2012, 04:55 AM   #748
scotched
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Were any of you guys able to do this without making a mess? It took me a few tries to cap on the foam w/o getting beer foam down the bottle. I had to wash the outsides of my bottles.

Fermenting: Edwort's Wounded Knee IPA (no-chill), XH Limeade #3
Serving:
nada

Old 02-11-2012, 04:19 AM   #749
limeybrewer
Recipes 

I do fill to foam comes out my little needle in the cork. I just use a large plastic container ($5 in target) and I fill my bottles in there. I use another as a Bath for the One step and I rinse in iced water before I fill them. Mess is there but its minimal. If I bottle 5g this way I lose under half a pint in spilage.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #750
enricocoron
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I didn't read this whole thread, but basically I am going to try a similar approach. There are these tiny CO2 cartriges for planted fish tanks with a little valve and a tube that you can place through a stopper to purge your bottles of air with a stopper on top. Then you shouldn't need to worry about tightly sealing your bottles as you fill, just dispense the beer slowly with a cut racking cane/picnic tap through an inverted carboy stopper and lift up slowly as the bottle fills, once it slightly overflows it should be just carbon dioxide left on the head. I'm trying it out for a couple of comtest beers this week, if it works I'll post some pics (by works I'm letting them sit a month before opening and compare it to bottle conditioned beers of the same brew).

Quick Reply