The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > We no need no stinking beer gun...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #731
jcoxen
BOFH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If the beer is properly carbonated already, you're not lowering the carbonation of the beer - as long as you don't leave the pressure set low. All you're doing is lowering the dispensing pressure to reduce foaming. Once you're done bottling you should return the keg pressure to it's normal setting.

Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #732
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoxen View Post
If the beer is properly carbonated already, you're not lowering the carbonation of the beer - as long as you don't leave the pressure set low. All you're doing is lowering the dispensing pressure to reduce foaming. Once you're done bottling you should return the keg pressure to it's normal setting.
I'm not sure we're on the same page. I am talking about the pressure drop from keg airspace pressure to a bottle with no pressurized airspace. The bottle will draw co2 out of the beer over time to even the pressure between beer and bottle airspace. I'm just curious if it is more than say 20%. So if the volumes of co2 in the keg is 2.5 then when it's in the bottle with 1/2" airspace, does it drop to 2.0? Probably not a big deal, just curious.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #733
djt17
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 345

Don't leave headspace; cap on foam.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #734
JasontheBeaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrew View Post
I'm not sure we're on the same page. I am talking about the pressure drop from keg airspace pressure to a bottle with no pressurized airspace. The bottle will draw co2 out of the beer over time to even the pressure between beer and bottle airspace. I'm just curious if it is more than say 20%. So if the volumes of co2 in the keg is 2.5 then when it's in the bottle with 1/2" airspace, does it drop to 2.0? Probably not a big deal, just curious.
I was concerned about this exact same issue. Especially when I read that some people fill several bottles at a time, then cap them all at once.
Personally, I fill a bottle and immediately cap it, one by one. It might be a slower process this way but I want my beer exposed to atmosphere as little as possible for both carbonation and contamination issues.
To answer your question, bottling in this method I do not notice any difference in carb levels between my bottled beer vs. my keg on tap.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:11 AM   #735
dezman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did this method (sort of) just to see how well it worked. I just stuck the racking cane on the tap and lowered the pressure. I didn't use the stopper or cut the angle on the cane. I was surprised to find out this worked just fine! Filled about a half a case of bottles to try to open up a keg. This is awsome! Thanks for this thread best idea ever!

Old 01-17-2012, 12:19 AM   #736
r2eng
IPA - it's all about the burps
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am sure there is a little loss (PV=nRT and all), but I have never really noticed a difference in carb level between keg and bottle.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #737
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Note to all - Be carefully when attaching the racking cane to the picnic tap... I totally applied to much force and split the spout on my picnic tap. This caused a leak when trying to fill... made a huge mess

Old 01-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #738
JasontheBeaver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd View Post
Note to all - Be carefully when attaching the racking cane to the picnic tap... I totally applied to much force and split the spout on my picnic tap. This caused a leak when trying to fill... made a huge mess
Been there, broke that.... Shoulda warned you, my bad.

"Homebrewing to cut costs on my obsessive tailgating habit."
Car Detailing, Headlight Restoration, Windshield Chip Repair, Odor Removal, Engine Steam Cleaning all in Beaverton, Portland, OR

Old 01-24-2012, 01:36 AM   #739
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 738 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 1237

Used the plan in the OP and it worked beautifully. Also attached a second racking cane to a picnic faucet then to a keg filled with CO2 only, and used it to blow out the oxygen of each bottle before adding the beer. Not sure if this is effective, but it seemed to work.

Thanks for the great idea.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #740
elproducto
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've always had trouble with foam using this setup.. and a lot of wasted beer. last night for kicks, I tried purging the keg, and dialing up to just 1-2 psi. I filled a chilled bottle right from the tap and it worked PERFECTLY. I gave it a tap to foam, and capped on that.

Fall Line Brewing Company

http://www.beerisafourletterword.wordpress.com

Fermenter 1 - Spring Saison
Fermenter 2 -

Keg 1 - BCS Best Bitter
Keg 2 - McDole's APA
Keg 3 - BCS Robust Smoked Porter
Keg 4 - CYBI Obsidian Stout

Quick Reply